Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping m715

Default Shipping m715

Hi all,
    I'm a m715 rookie but am a prospective owner. My uncle has a 67 m715 that has been completely gone over has new brakes, new chevy 350 in it, runs great, and it's the coolest vehicle I've ever seen! So the kicker is its in souix falls SD. And I'm in old town ME. I was wondering if any of you have had any experience shipping these beasts? I've got a fue estimates and they are pretty high around $2500. I really want this thing so Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Howie

Howie, Welcome to the M715 Zone.

For that money, you could go and get a U-Haul truck and trailer and bring it home yourself! Could be a first "Road Trip".

That's not a bad price for the 1800 miles and locations involved. You can get it yourself if you have time, a 3/4 ton truck and a trailer capable of handling 6500# of payload. You can figure on $1200+ in fuel if you avg 12 mpg which greatly depends on your rig.

Road trips are an adventure. Especially if your equipment isn't in A#1 condition.
    Last edited by kwai; June 28th, 2014 at 08:38 PM.

Back when I was staitioned at Fort Rucker in Alabama I had my 94 BMW convertible i paid 350 from CT...there's a Web site that will have carriers bid for your vehicle move, I can't remember the name right now but it should be cheaper than that...that was 6 years ago, even with current fuel prices that sounds high.

Uship.com I think is what it was...good luck and welcome, great people and knowledge here!

Shipping costs more when you are off the beaten path, which is why I think the quotes aren't that unreasonable. I have found that shipping to Houston is much more expensive than to Dallas for cross-country shipping.

You could also try yesterday's tractor (http://www.ytmag.com). they have a shipping forum where you can hook up with individuals moving stuff cross country. Uship uses commercial trucking companies while yesterday's tractor is more hobbyists and some commercial.

Thanks! That's all great info, considering driving out my self. If I'm going to spend the money may as whell enjoy the ride.

Last year I towed a M715 (along with about 600lbs of extra spare parts) using a uhaul trailer and a Ford Superduty. AND IT WAS DANGEROUS. The trailer could not be driven over 55MPH without developing a violent shimmy.

My advice is to rent one of the big box trucks for pulling the trailer with. It will be much safer and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNeutron View Post
    Last year I towed a M715 (along with about 600lbs of extra spare parts) using a uhaul trailer and a Ford Superduty. AND IT WAS DANGEROUS. The trailer could not be driven over 55MPH without developing a violent shimmy.

My advice is to rent one of the big box trucks for pulling the trailer with. It will be much safer and faster.
    My advice is similar but maybe different in that I was driving a 17' U-Haul Ford truck that was filled and the M715 was the only thing on the trailer. I had checked the load for proper position and had no extra weight on the trailer. The M715 exceeds the trailer capacity by about 200 pounds so I didn't want to stretch things. I even had the winch off of the the M715. My experience was that I could hardly feel the trailer behind me. It always tracked true but again, it was being pulled by a full 17' truck.

"Your Mileage May Differ... "

http://www.freightquote.com

But if I trusted the truck, I would fly there and drive it home!