Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: awest : Where can i find Disc Brakes

Default awest : Where can i find Disc Brakes

Where can i find Disc Brakes
    Post by awest on Aug 11, 2006, 8:37am

I was wondering where i could find some disc brakes to put on here. I would like to convert it to 4 wheel Disc instead of Drum. Currie Enterprises contacted me this morning to ask me if i wanted that put on my axles for an extra 3200 bucks. So I was wondering if anyone on here has converted over to disc brakes or at least the front. If so where, and how much. I just think 3200 is a bit high.

Default alosix :

Re: Where can i find Disc Brakes
    Post by alosix on Aug 11, 2006, 8:38am

Depends on the disks for the price.. A bolt on brembo setup for my WRX is over $4k new.

Are they actually looking at making an adapter setup for stock M7x5 axles?

Jason

Default awest :

Post by awest on Aug 11, 2006, 8:43am

Brembo, wow that would be nice, but maybe a little bit overkill too. I was looking for some nice brakes like maybe off of a F350 or Dodge 2500-3500. That way i can get some cross drilled and sloted ones and then the single piston or possiable dual wont be so bad. I was trying to keep everything under a grand on the brakes. Currie Enterprises is charging me enough already to have both of my axles done completely over and braced.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Aug 11, 2006, 8:50am

If they're already at Currie getting work done. I'd probably see if you could get them to get a late model spindle setup to fit so you can use a 8 lug wheel + some sort of std brakes. To me, $3200 for them to do that front and rear isn't all that bad.

Jason

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 11, 2006, 9:01am

This has been discussed and hashed over for years. A kit used to be available that would convert the stock axles to disc brake. About $1000 an axle was the cost. That manufacturer went away, but some are claiming they are back in business.

So, you can spend somewhere between $2000-$3200 for disc brakes. You still have axles that even though they say Dana 60 and Dana 70 on them are about as strong if not a little weaker than modern Dana 44 axles. Plus, your options are open or Detroit Locker. Another thread Thursday mentioned the availabilty of selectible lockers for the stock axles. I haven't heard of anybody actually making them work in these axles, so I won't comment on them. The point is that the stock axles are not as good as you might think they are. Especially, if you can find 1 ton GM axles D60/14bolt for less than the cost of just putting on disc brakes.

Think through what you are going to use the truck for. I still have the stock axles because the XZL tires are as big as I want to go, I like the lock ring wheels, do more street than off road driving and have a spare set of axles to replace what I do break.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 11, 2006, 9:10am

Man are they gonna gold plate them for you? I got my front disc brakes from ugly truckling guy in Oregon. Did the install myself. Was around $700.00 for everything.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Aug 11, 2006, 9:12am

Quote:
    Man are they gonna gold plate them for you? I got my front disc brakes from ugly truckling guy in Oregon. Did the install myself. Was around $700.00 for everything.

Currie doing axle work is always $$.

Jason

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 11, 2006, 10:54am

Any money spent on the stock axles, unless you're restoring it, is money wasted IMNSHO.

For less that the cost of new BRAKE SHOES you can get a 44/14bolt in many areas. And the 44 is probably stronger.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 11, 2006, 11:19am

helitool is aand has been making these kits for years. 99% of the m715 guys wont spend the money for them though. helitools brake kits are the best way to go for disc brake with stock axles. i was going to make them if they went out of business but since there still in business i wont it would be bad business. http://www.uglytruckling.com/

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 11, 2006, 12:10pm

Quote:
    I was wondering where i could find some disc brakes to put on here. I would like to convert it to 4 wheel Disc instead of Drum. Currie Enterprises contacted me this morning to ask me if i wanted that put on my axles for an extra 3200 bucks. So I was wondering if anyone on here has converted over to disc brakes or at least the front. If so where, and how much. I just think 3200 is a bit high.

So let's talk numbers here, based on my experience:
    CUCV Axles $1500 delivered.
    All new seals/bearings/u-joints front-rear $200
    New Kingpin kits $100
    New standard black rock crawler 8 lug wheels (5 of them) $160
    1410 upgraded yokes $200
    All new disc brake hardware front/rear and brackets $300
    ============
    $2460

But that's with STANDARD parts than can be replaced off the shelf.
    But that's on a modern axle that can get replacement parts from any auto parts store.
    But that's on a king-pin front.
    But that's on an axle I can get spools/lockers for less than $500 each.
    But that's on an axle I can get a selection of gearsets for.
    But that's with wheels I can beat the crap out of then go out and buy a brand new one for under $100 instead of mucking with custom crap.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm a big fan of standard, cause cu$tom $tuff will leave you $tranded in the wood$ and co$t more to get fixed if/when it break$.