Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: hummer103 : What Trailer to Pull a M715?

Default hummer103 : What Trailer to Pull a M715?

What Trailer to Pull a M715?
    Post by hummer103 on Oct 16, 2006, 11:29pm

I'm in the market for a trailer to pull my jeep. I might be moving to Arizona in the near future and would like to take my jeep with me and continue to use the trailer for wheeling trips, etc.

I have a 02 Dodge Diesel so power on tap isn't an issue.

I have a gooseneck setup which came with the truck and would love to get one but they cost considerably more $$$, are longer, and more difficult to store (Higher/Longer).

There are tons of great deals on 16-20 foot car trailers with the deck between the wheels, but so many of these only have 3500 lb axles. They boast a 7000 lb payload but weigh in at about 1800 which leaves only about 5200 lbs for my jeep maybe a little more since all that weight isn't sprung weight.

When I look at these same trailers with the 5200 lb axles, the deck gets narrower, b/c of wider tires and the price seems to increase significantly enough to make me look at goosenecks again.

I want a 2-5/16 ball, don't need a dovetail and probably 2 axles with brakes.

What are you guys towing with?

I've gota 715 with a 350/465/205 and XL's so its weighing in more than stock, and I plan on hauling some stuff in the bed of the Jeep.

I've read the posts about the U-haul trailer, and I'd rather do it right. Plus I could probably buy a trailer and sell it after moving and it would be cheaper than renting one to drive cross country.

Thanks for any input,
    Scott

Default oilcan :

Re: What Trailer to Pull a M715?
    Post by oilcan on Oct 16, 2006, 11:36pm

I use one of those lightweight 16-footers, and it really is too light. I've run at least 8,000 overloaded miles with only one blowout, though. Just lucky, I guess.

I'd say get the biggest trailer you can physiclaay stuff in your chosen parking spot and be happy. You never know when you'll need to haul something big.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 16, 2006, 11:58pm

I've seen some used goosenecks fairly cheap - check your local craigslist and paper.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 17, 2006, 12:15am

I use a 16 " tandem axle, will hold 8,000 lbs. I always use towbars, and yes of course electric trailer brakes. Brought my M-715 from Pennsylvania to Washington state with a 96 ford powerstroke, worked great. Can't remember my trailer width but it is a couple inches wider than Binfords, I think two inches on either side of tires to edge of trailer.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 17, 2006, 12:55am

Joe/Ia has a really nice aluminum trailer with 9k axles - think he said it was about $4k though.

Default joeia :

Post by joeia on Oct 17, 2006, 7:01am

It actually has 4800# axles which give it a GVW of 9600#. The trailer weighs 1600#, so it should be able to haul 8000#. As most of you know I did snap off all the studs on one wheel coming home from Tennessee in June. I do think it was due to overtightened lug nuts.

Default jeepcj :

Post by jeepcj on Oct 17, 2006, 7:46am

If you can afford it get the Goose Neck. It's easier on your truck safer and besides the M715 you can haul lots of other things. I have a 26' with a wood deck. I bought it in GA fro under $3700

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Oct 17, 2006, 9:02am

Advantage to the g/n is that everybody you know can't borrow it. But then they'll want to borrow your truck too.

I got a Kaufman 22' diamond car hauler, been really happy with it, whether hauling CJ, M715, or scrap. I wanted enough length to have room to balance out a bigger vehicle, or room for the CJ with a small trailer. 5200# axles, but titled at 9990# to avoid DOT regs and CDL.

Get brakes on both axles -- what good is 10,400 capacity with only 520# worth of brakes?

I had to get removable fenders. XL's/XZL's on stock wheels would fit between, on aftermarket wheels (bob cowan's) it's a couple inches too wide. Two bolts each side and they come off.

Get the slide-in ramps instead of fold-up, in the past I've hauled a couple of big cars (station wagons) where the fold-up ramps didn't have room to fold up. And the truck bed was too full for them.

For the coupler, I got an adjustable pintle hitch. It has about 10-12" of adjustment range using a vertical channel with holes drilled in it, and you can use either a pintle or a ball coupler that bolts into the channel. I'm trying to get the hitches on 3 different vehicles and 4 trailers to be halfway the same height.

I got all the options I wanted, and custom build took about 4 weeks. Kaufman is a little far for you, but I'm sure there are good mfgr's up that way. Trailer was 3325.00

G/N adds $500 to their trailers.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/catalog.p....85a7b1570479a9e

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Oct 17, 2006, 9:03am

as for the width, you can also reinforce the fenders and drive over

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Oct 17, 2006, 9:55am

I ran a 24' gooseneck RO/RO (Roll on/Roll off) to Utah - picked up my 715 ('the Goat') and rolled back to Alabama @ 80 mph. I had no issues what-so-ever.

If you have a use for a good sized trailer - do it right the first time. Have a CM Trailers - Load Boss, electric brakes, 4' dove tail, 14,000 lb, dual axle with single wheels.

Snuffy

PS - Also hauls 40 LAV tires nicely... if that ever becomes an issue.