Thread: tire change tool

Default tire change tool

i just changed the 5 tires on my 715 in about 6 hours. this includes dismount, wire-brush the wheels, paint the wheels, and remount 5 xzl's. i have never worked on a lockring type of wheel before. there are two "secret weapons" that you should know about if you ever do this yourself. one it the "duck-billed-hammer" (kentool pn kt35329) that barrman has posted about and the other is this kentool (pn kt33224) split rim and ring tool. notice the ends of the tool. it has all the right notches and bends to make removing the lockring easy. it cost less than $20.00 and is about 30 inches long. the hardest part of the change out was getting the tube's valve stem in the hole in the wheel. i wish they made a tool for that.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by osut362 View Post
    the hardest part of the change out was getting the tube's valve stem in the hole in the wheel. i wish they made a tool for that.
    Actually they do. Not sure of the NAPA part number, but in the tire service catalog (or computer now) they sell a sort of "snake" that has a threaded end that screws onto the valve stem and can be fed through the slot in the rim to pull the stem through.

I used to have one that I used all the time for bike tires, but I don't know what I did with it. If I find it, I'll post up a pic of it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Ive got an even better one--called my uncle Dave lol--Back when he was a kid he started at a garage and he was the tire machine. I've since swapped out my axles to the chevys. Of course last weekend I went to put tires on some 15s for my new CJ project. He had three done and I was still farting around with mine.

Watch that bar there. I had to use my face to stop mine yesterday before it hit the floor.
    1/4" deep, 1/2" wide. A little super glue and it is all good now.

i'm glad i didn't hit my head. might have bent the bar.

Actually 2 bars make it really easy to get the lock ring off. I got 2 different lengths.

Here's that valve stem fishing tool

I take mine to Les Schwab, its about $20 a dismount/mount. I did enough of that by hand when I was in the service.

Quote Originally Posted by txleadfoot View Post
    Here's that valve stem fishing tool

I'll be doggone, I got one of them in a tool box i bought a couple years ago. It turned out that the box supported the local service station back in the 60's and 70's. I figured this tool had something to do with valve stems but not many people these days recognized it. Thanks Tex