Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power King Super Tractions or STA Superlugs?

Default Power King Super Tractions or STA Superlugs?

Guys,

What tire would you go with...they are pretty much the same other than the tread patterns. Just interested in public opinion before I shell out $600 for a set of 4 new ones...they are the same price around here.

Nobody has seen these or used either of these? C'mon! I see these on many M715 pictures that are posted all over...
    Not for anything, it seems many times when I ask questions etc., I don't get many responses...maybe I just ask good questions lol!

Wow, thats a pretty tough decision actually. I've ran both tires and they are both good tires. It depends on what kinda stuff you'll be getting into, here is my experience with them. I had a set of the Power Kings and they did awesome off road. Did really well in deep mud and dirt, ran through snow pretty well too. They are awful on the ice. One especially harsh Oregon winter there was heavy snow and ice all over the roads. It was all I could do to keep on the road, not even in my lane, just somewhere between one ditch or the other! That big solid zig zag down the center slides very well on the ice, lol. I ran those Power Kings until they went bald, and in between started buying like 1 new one each year so I could eventually swap the bald ones out. Well, when I bought my M-715, it came with a brand new set of the SuperLugs. So I ran those for a while. They did so-so in deep thick mud, as the would clog up rather easily. Dirt and snow they excel! Especially in the snow, thats the best snow tire I've ever ran. I have not had to chain up with the superlugs yet, and I've pushed snow with my bumper a couple of times, lol. On the ice they do well too. You will still slide around if your not careful, but I'd take a set of superlugs for snow/ice over Power Kings any day. Also, to let you know, both the Power Kings and Super Lugs I had where 36", and I ran both sets on the same vehicle, so its a pretty even assesment of both tires. If I had a choice, I'd go with the superlugs, which is what I will be running on my M-725. They are a good all around tire for mud/snow.

I have the Power Kings and I ditto the mud, snow and ice statements above...especially the ice...dont ask...

I dont know the others from more than seeing them on other rigs.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

To add...I have about 12,000 miles on mine and still have about 50% tread left...wear better than swampers anyway...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Default 10 years later...

Found a set of Power Kings on Craigslist for $300, new. Going to get them this weekend because I think I have original tires on my truck (just got it last Saturday).

Wondering if I could have the PK's siped, and if that could help on the ice/snow? I figure its got to help a bit right?

Assuming that you wore out the tires, so how did they do and how many miles did you end up putting on them?

If you get yours siped let us know how it works out. I've had my Super Tractions a few years. They still look new. But we don't get enough snow and ice to really test them out. If I have to lock em up on wet roads they slide pretty good though, guessing they'll suck on some black ice.

Saw your post about airsoft bbs. Have to check that out.
    I split up a gallon of antifreeze between all four tires, works pretty good.

They are bias ply so balancing isn't gonna matter the first mile or two whenever you drive it. Takes a bit for them to warm up and get round again...

Siping within reason cant hurt...I would do it to that center rib if I were running them now.

I’ve run them both, and the PK’s are a good tire if you’re running them primarily in dry, off-highway conditions, like these:

They don’t like extensive highway use (the tread will melt away before your eyes), and they will dig your grave in the mud:

SL’s, however, are a really good all-around tire; I had them on my M37, and they excelled in snow, rocks, and on the highway. They don’t like mud, as you’d expect— they load up & you’re better off walking.

Good enough to buy another set:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice trucks Nailhead.

The directional super tractions will dig too. Get in some Boggy stuff with no bottom and those pizza cutters will have you on the axles in a heart beat.

IMG_20160422_190724504 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20160423_121804354 by kerry walker, on Flickr

IMG_20160423_193000173_HDR by kerry walker, on Flickr

Did a lot of digging that 2 days... pulled 4 out but got stuck 3 times myself.

There's a place in Norman OK that sells surplus wheels and tires. And they take trade-ins. Thought about trading in my wheels and tires for some recentered HMMWV wheels and tires.