so many questions
Post by robsgp on May 21, 2006, 9:11pm

I'm fairly new to the zone and a shade tree mechanic with basic tools and skills. My m715 brush fire truck needs quite a bit of work. It had been sitting for 10yrs when I bought it. We got it to start but there was a lot of white smoke for the first 10min and gas was leaking from the carb.

I've never rebuilt a carb before. I bought a NOS kit to overhaul the Holley 1920. I pumped all the old yellow gas out using the cheap electric fuel pump that had been added. I replaced the fuel filter with a clear plastic one. I put it all back together, cleaned the sooty plugs, added fresh gas and tried it. It popped a few times but won't start. The fuel filter stays about half full. I don't smell gas so I poured a splash down the throat a couple times. One time it wanted to go, once it didn't. I read in a manual about checking the wet fuel level through the economizer diaphragm opening with it running, but don't know what to expect if it's not. What else can I check?

The rear brakes were dragging so I pulled the back drums. The left shoes are gummy I guess from leaking brake fluid. The wheel cylinder caps are pretty flexible and look to be in good shape. Should I rebuild or replace the wheel cylinders, or clean everything up and check for leaks after I get new shoes? The master cylinder has leaked, eating paint inside and outside the firewall. Brake parts seem to be a little rare (no one has everything) and expensive ($25/shoe?). Any recommendations?
I haven't even looked at the front yet.

The LR hub is missing one of the studs/bolts. Is this allowing muck into the bearings? Can just the stud be replaced?

I just received a set of data plates. Do all 5 mount to a plate that then mounts to the dash between the guages and glove box? Any good pics of a stock dash? And does anyone going to the FE have a set of number stamps? I'm thinking of attending the FE even though the truck won't be ready. It'd be nice to meet some of you and see a few m715's.
Thanks,
Rob