Thread: cilvilan fuel pump weak

Default cilvilan fuel pump weak

My original fuel pump I rebuilt. And it pumped very weak. Starving for fuel on hills and going 40 mph. So I bought a brand new cilvilan fuel pump and it does the same thing. Do you think maybe the push rod that pumps the fuel pump is wore down?

Might be the cam worn down.
    Just throwing it out there.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Sounds like it might be time to drop the tank and see if the neoprene lines from the tank to the metal lines are good or if there are some leaks in them...might pump some but not much. Dont forget the flex hose from the frame rail to the engine, under the alternator towards the drivers front on a stock truck...

Of course the other underhood lines should be inspected too.

I've dropped the tank twice. Once to check if the tank was dirty, and it was clean as can be, and so was the line and screen in the tank. And second to put in a fuel sending unit. It might be the line between the pump and the tank.

Have you blown the lines out with a little compressed air yet? I got a pretty good cloud of reddish brown stuff out of mine when I did it.

We fought that battle for 2 years and 3000 miles. A electric fuel pump located by the tank, solved that issue. A 350 chevy engine with one of Cowans adapters solved the other issues!

FWDSTUCK- I dug up that electric fuel pump-Carter P61139S 05D01A. The guy at O` Reillys ordered for me ( it is 24-volts). I`m no diagnostic guy but I finally decided that civilian pump was not quite as strong as the stock one. It would do fine with a can of gas under the hood, but hooked-up to the tank it would starve at 51 mph. or on a long hill-climb.

White433 Mine is doing exactly as yours. When I had the tank out of the truck for a couple weeks waiting for a new fuel sending unit. I had a 5 gallon tank in the bed with hose run over the side, hooked in the original fuel line. And it ran like a scalded dog. I'm trying to keep from going that rout, (electric fuel pump) Having to install un-original wiring. I might replace the line between the pump and the tank. And see if that works. If not, electric I go.