Last night, I fixed my steering once and for all.

The bell-shaped thingy that couples the steering column to the steering shaft was worn out. I did buy a new one but didn't feel like it was safe and kind of rinky dink really.

So what I did is I pulled the steering wheel and pulled out the steering column shaft. I cut the bottom 'T' thing that held the coupler off completely. This left me with a 3/4 round shaft. I called Borgeson and asked what they recommended. They said that I could either run a 3/4 smooth u-joint (which you have to weld on) or I could grind down the sides so it becomes a 3/4 DD.

I was really nervous about doing this and actually didn't touch the steering for a month because I was afraid of wrecking it. So last night, I bit the bullet and ground down the shaft. I took my time and it was really easy. The new 3/4DD ujoint fits perfectly and I upgraded the rest to a telescoping shaft and the rag joint to a vibration dampener with u-joint.

It works really well.

I will have some pictures sometime this weekend but I thought I would post this for those of you that want better, tighter steering. All of the pieces were about $200-225 or so. This was a nice easy upgrade that I feel made my M715 much safer.

If you have any questions or need part numbers (or pricing) let me know. I could probably put a kit together that all you would have to do is grind down your steering column shaft and this new piece would bolt in between the column and box.