Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mounts for poor man's engine swap?

hi guys i am getting ready to help my brother do a swap in his 715, he already has a complete J 20 w/360 and t18a, i read the page in the FAQ section and it helped alot. I am not able to look at the jeep myself and my bro doesn't exactly know what to look for, so i was looking for some help in what mounts i need to get, J 20 from advance auto for 9.99 or some from a 715 place like memphis equipment? Any other snags that you know of when converting to the 360? that way when we start it we will have the parts we need. It is a good 230 also if anyone is looking for one for a restoratin.

thanks alot eric

Eric the guy to ask on this one is the famous Spicergear.
    I heard that he figured out how to put a round peg in a square hole.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

E: you are putting a 360 in the 715? for motor mounts you can use any FSJ mounts, just move them. Not sure about the 715 but I believe there are already holes even. In fact, I'm going to look for you, as I have a 725 AND a big old Cherokee. I'll let you know tomorrow. It shouldn't be hard at all.
    **I heart Bump_r **

thanks guys!
    Redneck1: i will contact spicergear if he doesn't chime in.
    tacoma: i would really appreciate that, and the vote of confidence. any possible snags i might run into? 12 to 24 volt?
    again you guys are great, me being new to fsj vehicles i appreciate your info and any experiences you can tell me about. I have an xj and have only really worked/modified the smaller platforms. I am jealous... v-8s

eric

I am using the motor mounts out of my j-3000 into the kaiser, the frames are the same width the last time I measured, they should still be the same. Remove motor mount brackets from you're donor truck and when everything is lined up figure where they need to be and weld them in. You should probably replace the rubber engine mount as cheap insurance. Good luck I'll post on how my converision is going, still looking for the proper bellhousing t-98 to buick 350. Good Luck Fisherman

I found one of these years ago by going to jeep dealer and getting him to put part # for housing on national dealer search. The one I found was growing dust on a shelf in Illinois. While you are there, make sure input shafts are same length. jeep changed them faster than Michael Jackson changes noses. By the time I figured prices for bell housing,custom flywheel ,etc. it was too high.

Actually, you can take the frame perches from the J20 donor, and they almost bolt in. Not in the stock position though. I think I used the back bolts from the original mounts. It is very easy to drill new holes to just bolt in the frame perches, especially with two of them already there. Once you do this, the tranny mount will bolt right up to the cross member, but you will have to notch it out to all for the tcase adaptor. The stock crossmember was for a 2wd tranny, so only has enough clearance for a stub shaft.

There is one big problem with this though, unless you have the J20 with the Dana 300 tcase, the normal dana20 tcases will not last long in the M715 with the extra weight, etc. The Dana 300 really isn't strong enough either, but it could get by for a while depending on your driving style.

ok good so mounts should not be a problem I make them work. i had been thinking about the t-case situation, i will have to investigate what the J 20 has and go from there. Also can i just use the tail shaft from the t98 on the t18 and use the Np200? Or use the t98 and change the input shaft? Which would work better? Did any J20s come with divorce mounted t-cases? thanks for all the replies great info

eric

Hmm, I know there is an article on the T18 vs T98 input shaft issues. I think it is an input shaft swap. But not certain.

I am doing the same thing and I haven't found a clear answer on t89/t18 compatibility. I plan to swap a Jeep t18 granny gear long input shaft into a 2wd ford granny gear t18. With a factory Jeep bellhousing and spacer, it should all line up perfectly like a normal FSJ.

I have yet to see anyone whou has actually done this swap. Anyone here done it and want to share?