Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More(on) Brakes

Read it however you want!

Does anyone know or know where I can find the stroke length of a master cylinder? Esp. for the civilian FSJ's? I've got a dual reservoir that the PO installed (Alan Bennett) and I modified it with a FSJ brake booster and pedal. However, I'm concerned that the stroke length on the FSJ parts is not long enough. When I put a spacer in between the booster and the MC, I get a firmer pedal (duh) and the brakes seem to grip a little better, but I have VERY little travel left from where the brakes STOP the truck and the bottom of the pedal's travel.

I can get the truck to stop going downhill in LO range (Quadratrak), but I have no "extra" stopping power left in the brakes.

For obvious reasons, I want to get this fixed B4 I go wheelin!

i had to extend the rod to the pedal about 1/2" or 3/4". don't remember how much. most other people have had to do the same.
    k
    67 M725 84 GW

Duh! I hadn't though† of the mechanical part of the brake pedal limiting the travel of the bore. I'll check that out. I put a spacer in between the MC and booster and got a firmer pedal. I'll check the pedal travel and see what I can do.

I checked the pedal travel. It's being limited by the MC. I ust picked up a POWER MC for a 77 Corvette. I'll try that out and see what happens. Carquest didn't have a non-power MC listed for that year. Guy at counter has a PowerWagon and has experience on older trucks, etc., and he says that he looked at Corvette MC's, too, because they use 4 piston calipers on all 4 wheels, therefore would move a lot more fluid. We'll see....

i'm using a MC and booster from a late 80's grand wagoneer. bolted right on after drilling two holes. then split the lines for front and rear.
    k
    67 M725 84 GW

And you have enough pedal travel to lock up all 4 wheels? Did you split the rear drum reservoir?

hey Krob125, i have the same setup as you for brakes. booster/mastercylinder from a 89 wagoneer. Did you have to hook up a reidual check valve in the front brakes or somthing? my fronts dont seem to be working as well as they should.

does anyone know if they make a drum/drum master cylinder that will bolt to the wagoneer booster?

thanks.

BrianM

call Master Power Brakes, they know everything. Seriously.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Tacoma is right, unfortunately they only seem to know their part numbers and their prices (I had a bad experience with them). But yea, they know their crap.

Chris

do you have a number to call for master power brakes?

-Brian M