Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

I have put roughly 150 miles on my truck and the 4.10's actually work real well. I actually drove down the interstate at 70-75 just to actually pass some cars! The XML's run great and they are not even balanced.

Today I sold my Scrambler (finally) so now my attention is back on this project.

One of the changes is for the tires, I have my eye out for 12.50R20 XLs if anyone knows of a source.

The next plan of action is getting the tranny and tcase mounted, then driveshafts, etc. The challenge is having to work outside as I'm out of the garage now, but we'll make it happen.

Well I realized I haven't updated this in a long time, guess that would be because I have done anything in a long time

The next plan of action is flipping the posts on the rear shackle flip and dropping the tank.

Also I may be getting some worn 12.50 20 XLs this week. Its a good deal and I can use the as rollers for fitting/testing, one will make a good spare.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Over the weekend I got some work in on the project.

I’m amazed at the condition of this beast for being 42 years old. I was able to unbolt everything without any trouble except the hose clamp on the gas tank. I’m beginning to really appreciate this rig and have figured out why it’s in such good shape. Of all the jeeps I’ve worked on I’ve never seen the rust proofing like this and the reason is that another contractor built box on these things. It appears they rust proofed prior to assembly and possibly attached the box as one unit. I certainly can’t prove this but having spent much of this weekend underneath, I can see where the factory left off and the box the contractor installed began, I’ll try and get some pics of this later. It’s pretty easy to figure out, just follow the rust proofing.

Here’s a pic of what the M725 looked like off the production floor before the box (this is the last M725 built).

I got the gas tank out without fanfare. The filler hose appears to be in good shape but I’m not out of the woods yet, still have to reinstall and hope there’s no leaks. I really don’t want to have to buy one of the expensive hoses on ebay but maybe I should even for backup. I haven’t gone through this tank yet but will add a return line and check on sending unit/inlet line.

The tough part of the weekend was taking a hole saw to the inside posts to cut them free of the inside brackets. I did one side and got half way threw the other before I broke my drill. I’ll have to get another 1 ½” hole saw and either use another drill or get a new one. Oh I also broke my grinder so have to get another one of those too. I know a bunch of guys have done this post flip with the shackle flip but I have not seen any pics posted. Well here we go:

Next is to finish the hole saw cutting, grind off the rivets and then flip the posts around.

After that I will clean up the frame and POR15. Again, the box has no rust to speak of but the frame could use some rust prevention.

Default more on post flip

More work on the post flip. This is taking longer than expected but I should be finished tomorrow.

If anyone is reading this and is considering the same thing, you can learn from my mistakes.

I used a 1 1/2" hole saw to drill around the inner post to free up the inner post. The problem with this is that the hole in the frame is just about the same diameter as the post. It would have been better to use a 1 1/4" hole saw and cut right around the post. Here I removed the inner plate.

Then I shaved the extra metal on the post, cut the lower hole and flipped the post around.

Here it is bolted up and you can see the gap that I still have to weld up.

I suppose I could have cut the post and simply bolted the outer plate to the frame. However, I wanted to do this right and not lose any structural integrity. If anyone buys a truck with a shackle/post flip I would check the inside of the frame on the passenger side to make sure it has the inner plate.

Default video blog

So I thought I'd start a video blog on this project and post youtube vids periodically.

Here's my intro post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu0AFEJxx04

Thanks for the pics and info on that flip...I think you are the first one in all the years to post the images like that of the job...

Great intro video...will be neat to watch your progress!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I can't wait to see a video of that thing cruising down the road.

Yeah Jon searched and never saw what it looks like behinpd the plates. It would have saved me some time, maybe this helps someone else out.

Chris let's see a vid of yours! It will be a blast to get this thing running. The build process is fun though. Stay tuned

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Great video, keep 'em coming
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15