Thread: Selectro hubs.....what are the benefits?

Default Selectro hubs.....what are the benefits?

What are the main benefits of new hubs on the front axle? Where is the best place to find them for the best price?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The main benefit is that you aren't backdriving the front drivetrain all the time. Put a set of Selectros on, and you'll swear you had been driving with the parking brake on most of the time.

You'll also find the steering a bit lighter as well, and I just think it makes the truck work a little less hard simply driving down the road.

You should still lock the hubs in once in a while to keep the lubrication splashing around in the differential though, if you don't use 4WD very often.

The guy who was selling them here was Big Wheel Bob if I remember correctly. Someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny that.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I need a set too. Keep us posted!
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Our member BigWheelBob has the Selectros for $250 including shipping last I heard. Feel free to send him a PM with your need.

The benefits are just as Randy said...I thought I had been driving with the parking brake engaged compared to the power that is freed up by the hubs.

Stock, the tcase, in 2wd, is turning just the stuff to drive the rear axle. The front tire by spinning is turning the front hub and axle shafts and ring and pinion and front driveshaft back to the tcase and the first gear in the tcase...but nothing in the tcase is connected to the gear until the truck is pt in 4 wd, so thats where it stops.
    With the Selectros, the tire turns the bearings and the hub but thats it.

Much less friction.

Turning them on, as Randy also said, every so often, is the only way for the grease in the steering knuckles to lube the upper kingpin bearing...important.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Besides all that technical mumbo jumbo listed above. Get the lock outs because they look cool!

I was at an air show back in May. The drive up there was easy pulling a M101 with the top on it. When we left two days later, I couldn't pull some of the hills in 5th. I actually stopped to make sure all the trailer brakes were off, none of the hubs on truck or trailer were red hot and I crawled under the truck to make sure the parking brake wasn't stuck on jambed full of something. Everything seemed ok, so I went on down the road with no power and the truck feeling just awfull.

I got home and just parked the truck figuring if it runs that bad, I might as well not even drive it anymore until I can do a lot of engine tuning/engine swap out. A week later, I had to move it and just happened to look at the hubs. Somebody had locked them both in.

Yes, they make that much of a difference.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw