Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not again!!!

Just came in the house from taking out the new/old coil. For the heck of it, I decided to put the meter on it while sitting at the kitchen table. Low and behold, I'm getting almost the exact same reading as I'm getting with the second coil Barney's Jeep Parts sent me. Where the heck do I go from here? I'll put in the newest coil and start all over again. I think I'll just spend some time with my other hobby, collecting guns! My newest addition is a 1960 Auto Ordnance Thompson Sub Machine Gun. 30 round stick, 50 round drum magazines. Yep, I'm feeling better already.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

The first coil may still be bad even though it reads the same as the new one.

How a coil works is not magic. My description may not be completely accurate but the description should help understand how it works.

The coil is literally a tightly wound coil of wire that causes induction. There are actually two separate windings in a coil. The primary side/coil and the secondary side/coil. The wire is "insulated" with "enamelled" wire. The insulation is usually very thin. Modern insulation is probably a polymer though and not actually enamel.

The induction causes heat in the windings as a side effect of it's function. This heat can cause a breakdown in the insulation and change the amount of induction the coil creates thereby changing the electrical characteristics when it is warm/hot.

Here is a link that is describes a coil pretty well. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system3.htm

You give me hope jeeper. I will try the new coil. Do you think the first coils age had anything to do with its effectiveness? The seller said it was never used, but the date written on it was 2008 August. I noticed what appeared to be a little rust around the mounting band at the top. That and the fact that he immediately sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one.
    Also, I wish I knew if the readings on my digital multi-meter were in the correct range, or if I did it wrong when testing. Thanks for your help.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

The reading "range" you should be using is the lowest setting.

4m 40m 400 and then push the range button again and you get 4k 40k 400k
    The m in the first set (assuming the last number in the first set is 400m) stands for mega ohms which is million. The k in the second set is kilo ohms which is thousands. The reading on the coils should be fairly low as in less than 10 ohms on the primary (24 volt) side. I would set the meter to 4k if that is the lowest range on the meter.

If a coil is unused and stored in a cool dry place it is not affected by age. Again it is literally coils of insulated wire wrapped up around each other over a metal rod.

The rust on the casing tells me it may have gotten wet at some point but it could also be from humidity in the air. If the insulation on the coil wire is good a bit of water should not "hurt" it as long as it wasn't in use at the time and were allowed to completely dry afterwards. My guess is the rust doesn't mean much.

I suspect the cheap Chinese coils use a poor grade of wire/insulation and are not held to much of a quality standard during the manufacturing process. I can totally believe the first coil only lasted a very short time. And not to dash your hope but the next one could fail as well. It has already been said but I'll repeat it, carry a spare and the tools to install it.

Soon as I find time, I'll drop in the new one. I have to say that I did get about 3 years of service out of the first Chinese coil I installed. I don't drive my truck much, mostly to the local cruise nights and a parade here and there. When I put in the coil marked 2008, my truck fired up immediately. It also idled for about 20 minutes perfectly. When I went to start it 3 days later, all the truck did was crank over and over. I'm getting 23.26 volts from the switch to the distributor, my Pertronics is installed correctly, no pinched wires, cap and rotor have been cleaned and look virtually new, plugs and wires are fairly new. I start to wonder if this is a fuel delivery problem. The truck always ran great, until the fire seemed to go out. Everything pointed to a bad coil, but at this point, I just don't know.

In addition to the things that I mentioned in the PM, if you want to see if ther is no gas, look down the carburetor throat and open the throttle. You should see gas squirting. If not, the carburetor is empty, or clogged.

A "Quick And Dirty" way to check for "no fuel".

Thanks Don. I will try all of the things listed above. Been real busy lately and just haven't had time or energy to work on my truck. The heat around here might also have had something to do with it.

Somehow... I totally understand that! It is pouring rain here (Australia, winter!) so heat is not the issue. When I get back to the US in mid September, I can call you and we can talk if you are still having an issue. I feel helpless sitting thousands of miles away.

You're very kind Don. I just know, that if all of us on this site were closer to each other in distance, we'd all be helping each other out. The good thing though, is all this talking back and forth on the website, just might help someone out in the future with their vehicle. I have really not been good about this latest issue. I've been rather busy and the heat has just made me not want to go out in the garage and work on things.

The heat in my garage is always a big problem. And to get to the workbench, I have to move the truck! There is a scant 8" between the passenger side and the bench. I even have to cut rhe wheels at the last second to put the bench mounted vice inside of the right front wheel well.