Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M37 engine in an M715?

Default M37 engine in an M715?

I came across a craigslist ad that shows what appears to be an M37 engine in an M715. Anybody ever seen anything like this? Did the military ever do anything like this or was this some PO looking for an easy swap?
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

wow...I can't imagine anyone putting a M37 motor into a M715. The gubment did not do it. The M37 is the old Dodge (Chrysler) flat head 230 motor. A good grunt of a motor, but compaired to even the M715 motor it is and old motor. Was there pics with the add or was it just what was written. I have a feeling the owner or seller is misinformed.
    Zone holster maker

Here's the pics. I've owned a stock M37 so I thought it looked familiar.

1967 M715 w/w #11812

Okay, just got an email back from the owner. He says it's a Hurricane, i.e. the civvy Jeep 226 flathead. Interesting.

He's asking $650 and says the only rust is on the tailgate, which needs replaced. It was originally a winch truck but doesn't have the winch anymore.

I'm typically a big fan of stock, but this one looks like it might be a good opportunity to stick a more modern engine and tranny in and have a cheap/fun farm truck.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Price is right. Heck, if nothing else part it out.

The old Hurricane was a decent motor. Probably not much more underpowered than the Tornado.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That's what I'm thinking. This seems like one of those deals you just do and figure it out later, but that could be my OD obsession clouding my thinking.

I'm envisioning a Chevy 292, TH400 and NP205. Is the 292's exhaust on the same side as the 226 that's in there (passenger side)?

A 350 would be nice, too, but it seems like it would require a lot more shoe-horning to make it work. I like the idea of a torquey inline-6 to replace the old Tornada (now Hurricane) that's in there.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Quote Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. This seems like one of those deals you just do and figure it out later, but that could be my OD obsession clouding my thinking.

I'm envisioning a Chevy 292, TH400 and NP205. Is the 292's exhaust on the same side as the 226 that's in there (passenger side)?

A 350 would be nice, too, but it seems like it would require a lot more shoe-horning to make it work. I like the idea of a torquey inline-6 to replace the old Tornada (now Hurricane) that's in there.
    Chevy inlines have the exhaust on the drivers side. With a Novak or Advance adapter they will bolt up just the same as a 350 chevy (same bellhousing pattern)

Cool, thanks. I should've known that. I have a 235 in my '54 3/4 ton but I wasn't sure if they were laid out the same way. Guess so.

So, if I'm going to have to mess with the exhaust anyway, maybe the 350 is a better option. We'll see. The guy is supposed to be sending me some more pictures. Apparently there is some rust on one of the doors, as well.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

With the 350 you have two manifolds, on the inline only one. Still going to require some fabbing, but ultimately no matter which engine you did, you'd still need to run the pipe out the right side or do some surgery on the crossmember for the trans and still cross to the passenger side to miss the fuel tank after the crossmember.

Well, as usual, it appears to be too good to be true. It's missing a LOT of stuff. He did say it was a parts truck that he got with another one, so no false advertising or anything. I was just hoping for a relatively complete truck that needed a drivetrain and some paint.

Anyway, here's the craigslist ad and a link to some photos. I'll post the ad link in the proper forum, as well.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/1504791764.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/nicholasj78/Kaiser#
    1967 M715 w/w #11812