Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf spring friction reduction

Default Leaf spring friction reduction

I'm itching to make some improvements to the stock leaves, especially now that my backyard (and frontyard) is full of top notch desert trails. Since Terrapin Fabrication is closed for the season, I can't have the springs swapped like planned and must work with the stockers.

I'm curious about long term reports of the durability of the "Slip Plate" stuff. I'm leery of putting forth the effort for something that seems to me will wear through in short order. Has anyone had this stuff in place and in heavy use for a long time yet? Also any ideas (besides OEM tractor dealers and the tractor supply place) where to look for it? There's not much more exotic around here than Walmart and Napa.

How about the poly spring liner strips? They tend to slip out of place, don't they? These seem like a simple, cheap improvement if they stay put.

I'm mildly interested in drilling my leaves for the slider pads but if I go to that amount of work, I'd want to diamond cut and taper my leaves too which dosen't sound like much fun to me.

Anyone know off the top of their head which vehicles may have the same width springs, only thinner? Taking this route would be easier if I could find a resource for spring theory and equations.

Thanks
    Chris

Wish I had something to report about how well my springs work painted with the slip plate graphite paint. All I can say is well they sure look pretty. Chris I'm a ways away from having it on the road so no reports yet. Although I know someone who was supposed to post up some pictures of newly modified and slip plate coated springs who could give us a report if he wasn't hiding that is. OK Brandon now where are those pictures and a Report?

What kind of "improvement" do you expect to get from modifying the stock spring pack?

Yeah, I'll post pics soon. I pulled all my leaf packs out, wire brushed them down to bare metal, installed new bushings (my old ones were SHOT, that right there should improve things), pulled the second from the bottom leaf out, then painted all the leaves with Slip Plate. To be honest, I was kinda leery about the slip plate at first too. My first worry was that the stuff would just wash off, lol. After spraying (I got the aerosol can version, Fisherman has the brush on slip plate) on a couple of coats, it dried really quickly and I had trouble scraping and scratching it off. Obviously it was very slippery as well. Anything is going to wear off eventually, but I think this stuff actually has a chance of lasting, and really helping.

I just finished my springs and some other things this past weekend, so I have not had a chance to really test them out. I did drive on the highway a bit though. I could notice a considerable difference. Didn't feel nearly as "rough". Not super soft, but an improved ride over stock. Did a little bit of flexing of the suspension over some stumps that lifted my rear tire before, didn't do it this time. I know thats nothing of a technical comparison, all I can say right now is that it is great improvement.

Cool deal. Post up some pics if you get a chance, just so I have something new to look at for a while. I plan on a few non-scientific comparisons as well but I may pull two leaves, at least from the rear springs.

Steve - I have no use for the carrying capacity - I'd be pleased with a 1/4 ton rating since I never really carry more than a few hundred pounds in the bed. Washboard is the name of the game out here and with the tires at 15 psi, it's still horrible to drive. I'd like something closer to "plush" that will flex much better than stock.

Chris

Why not contact a manufacturer like Superlift? They make springs for all types of vehicles. Or get in contact with a spring shop that makes custom springs. Gotta be a few of those in Kali. I bet either one could get you a more flexy solution using the stock spring locations. More/thinner leaves should give better flex without giving up so much in the load department.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I think Deaver is better than $600 per axle, and I'll still have the little stumpy short springs on there (with lousy weak mounts).

The ultimate plan is to swap for longer, common, cheap GM springs so I have a bunch of off the shelf options. However I don't have the workspace to make the swap right now so I'll just fool around with the stockers to see what I can come up with on the cheap.

Chris

Just go with the main spring to locate the axle and use some air bags.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    Just go with the main spring to locate the axle and use some air bags.

Spring wrap would be pretty bad.

I am confident in Chris's fabing skills, he could make a brace that would work just fine. Just planting seeds.