Thread: Distributor question and paint opinion..

Default Distributor question and paint opinion..

Ok, I have a distributor question on my truck.......it's sadly been converted to 12v, and at this point unless I can find a deal on a starter and alternator I'm going to leave it that way.They "converted" the military distributor to 12v by using an external coil and running the wire into the cap thru a drilled hole. What a Rube Goldberg! So I want to retain the mil distributor, does anyone make a 12v coil that will fit inside the dist so at least it looks correct?
    Next is an opinion .........when I repaint should I do her in Olive Drab with the white markings OR 4 color camo with the subdued markings?
    Thanks all!
    M35A2, M38A1, M715 w/w

I prefer the 24087 semi gloss OD and the white markings. I think I have an extra starter, the alternator will be tougher to source for a cheap price, although you never now who may have one. I think I have a loose 12v coil I can try and see if it will fit.

Just install a GM one-wire alternator— they’re easy fixes for predicaments like this. It’s what I’m running and it works well, although it does need a throttle blip to kick it in after startup.

I’m also using a civilian Prestolite distributor (thanks to Kwai) which also works well. I have another civvy unit (an AC Delco, IIRC) I’m not using if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it looks like at one time they did offer 12v internal coils, Midwest Military had them but it appears they are long gone. Sounds like Nailhead might have an option for you if you don't want to spend more money on the 24v system. Might want to post an ad in the wanted section, perhaps some one may have the 24v item you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    I prefer the 24087 semi gloss OD and the white markings. I think I have an extra starter, the alternator will be tougher to source for a cheap price, although you never now who may have one. I think I have a loose 12v coil I can try and see if it will fit.
    I'm interested in that starter, and coil too!
    Thanks
    M35A2, M38A1, M715 w/w

As for the painting opinions. I think they look the best in original OD #24087 and white markings. That is such a distinct and great look for military vehicles, plus helps Joe public understand that it's not active military vehicle.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/