Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The search for my first 715

nice to see a fellow mainer on the boards. i bought my truck this summer and i go to school at UMO and i'm from farmington. i was in e-mail contact with a guy who had one for sale. probably still is:

there is another guy up near moosehead lake who has a very, very nice fully restored 715 with fording kit, heater and all the goodies. i think he wanted around 7k for it. he also had another for parts. i am ashamed to admit it but i did go up and take some parts off it they'll go to a good home though. i think he wanted less that 1k for that truck. i have contact info for both guys if this one doesn't go through and you're interested. just remembered another guy who has an ex-brush truck. probably one of the cleanest original trucks i've seen but it needs an engine and it's got a water tank in the back. 2500 or 3500 with a braden pto winch.

i ended up buying my truck in new york and towing it home 14hrs on a trailer:

for some reason the picture didn't work... heres another shot

by the way, have you heard of mid-coast jeep club?

You live in Maine, I hope it has heat! Also a hard top.
    It doesn't have windshield washers, so you need to bring a spray bottle or something to clean the road salt off the windshield.
    I hope it has seat belts. The police have checkpoints, inspecting vehicles, looking for DWI, cellphone and no seat belts.
    Bring a jerry can of gas in case the fuel gauge is off.
    Bring as many tools as you can, including test light for 24 volts. Something will go wrong, guaranteed.
    Feast or famine,

They cannot make you add seatbelts. They weren't required by law in trucks until the kid 70's. Same as any state law - not retro, but from a certain point forword.

he's right... seatbelts aren't required if the vehicle didn't have them originally. i also registered mine as an antique and although you have to sign a paper saying it hasn't been modified in ANY way (mostly the engine), you don't have to go through any sort of inspection and it's a lot cheaper. insurance is way cheaper too... the jerry can is a good idea though, i always bring a full one with me because my gauge is way off. as far a spray bottle for salt, my truck isn't going anywhere near road salt!

yep i have put together a box of tools and plan on taking it very easy on the way home the guy who is selling me it has told me it should make the trip no problem he also told me to dubble the time it takes me to get there and thats how long it will be to get back
    i have also changed the day i am going to friday instead of sat to give myself some more time to get things in order thanks again

Do you have a spare tire, and a jack?
    30 wt oil, antifreeze, gear oil, duct tape.
    Mine is registered as a 2 door sedan, so I am always having to argue about seat belts. I lose both ways. The threaded holes are still there from the civilian truck, so its just easier to have seat belts and not argue about retroactive, or not. Everyone is an expert.
    Feast or famine,

if anyone knows of a jeep m715 in or arround newengland that is in good shape and not over 6000 let me know it seems that people just dont have morals any more and dont stand by what they say over the phone also 97xjsp if you have pics of the rig u were talking about can u send them and also were it is
    thanks guys

They are all over the place rotting in fields. But if someone tells you where there is one, it is probably a Wagoneer, Jtruck, or an M37.
    I talked to a guy near Albany, NY, who has 5 of them in his yard. He is interested in selling, I guess. But he will not talk to anyone who doesnt know military vehicles. Dont bother asking if you can get a cheap truck, then drive it home too. Expect to tow it. If you want I can give you the number. But it is a long haul from where you are. I see M715s on Government surplus auctions frequently. I think there are 4 on there now, and some m880s too?
    Feast or famine,

Truck looks great...enjoy!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!