Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my old conversion to bbc 402

In addition, there are the newer chevy CUCV's coming available through surplus and they are much easier to find stock parts for. There are still some fire departments that like the 715 because they will go places other trucks won't, but that kind of terrain issue is less common. The way the system works, generally, . . . is that when the military decides it is not needed, it makes it available to other government agencies, generally through GSA. After GSA shuffles it around until noone wants it anymore, . .then it goes to auction. In general, most of the time if a fire dept. gets a truck "free" if they decide they don't want it anymore, they are supposed to give it back to GSA, but after a certain amount of time, as I understand it, . .GSA will release it and let the FD sell it themselves. . . .FWIW, that is my understanding of how the system runs, . . .feel free to correct me if I have been misled. . .

Jay, mine was converted/butchered by the fire dept. They cut the original frame horns and welded in some from a chevy pickup. But, they got them in the wrong spot and one's higher than the other. They welded in some motor mounts on top of the horns. Other mods include the copper tubing fuel line and holes cut for the tranny shifter and T-case shifters with a torch. I had to replace the bed alltogether. All this was before my dad got it in the early 90's.

I purchased my truck from a fire department in April 2008 and they bought it from the Strategic Air Command in May 1976. Luckily it was all there and still 24 volt. I know of at least one other truck still sitting in a small fire department that they use, so they are still in service. One good thing is at least these trucks where inside out of the weather.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One of my local FD's has a 715 brush truck. It has had a D60/14bolt conversion, a hard top and cage, but all in all its very good condition. They still use it on a regular basis.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™