Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bluesman2a : Let's talk tanks...

Default 40grit :

Re: Let's talk tanks...
    Post by 40grit on May 1, 2006, 6:53pm

pictures delayed, should be ready tommorow, BTT

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 1, 2006, 7:42pm

No sweat...but thanks for the update!!

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on May 5, 2006, 3:06pm

Ok, finally got some free time. I got sidetracked buying a 24' wellcraft boat..another project..

here's the tank pics. I used 3"x3"x1/4" angle since I had it laying around, along with a drawtite adjustable hitch designed for RV's...I still need to finish the hold-down straps and route the hose up thru the stock filler neck once the bed is on, but here's some pics to get the idea..

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 5, 2006, 3:24pm

Looks pretty good...though, for me, seems like more stick down than I would want...of course, I would bash it because it might be possible to do so....I just have that talent...

I do know there is a 25 gallon Ranchero tank, mid 70's era, yeah a little smaller than stock, that will fit back there and not sit below the bottom of the frame rails. I was thinking of adding it as a 2nd tank...not a primary as you are...so a little less capacit doesnt hurt me. For me, I would still need to skidplate the whole tank...cause I'm talented again...

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on May 5, 2006, 3:49pm

It has the stock ford skidplate on it. If you mounted it any higher it hits the bottom of the bed, I thought about smacking it when driving off a ledge or something, but it's almost 30" from the ground. Mudog has his the same way, mounted lower due to smaller tires and hasn't smashed it yet and he likes to use his truck...I think it will be fine, with the extra protection from the hitch there's only a little bit that can get whacked before the hitch hits...there is room on both sides ( about 6 or 8") for a wider tank if you custom built one...you may be able to go wider and not so deep and get the same amount of gas.

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on May 5, 2006, 4:54pm

OT: hey while your there, shoot some other pics of your truck slacker! since ive never seen it!

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on May 5, 2006, 8:58pm

On the subject of tanks, I called today about getting one made from a fab shop. I thought about making my own, but since I only have my MIG, I'd have to make it out of steel and it would be heavy and a PITA to deal with. With that in mind I called about having one made out of 3/16" aluminum plate. Basically a box, 2' long, 15" tall and an indeterminate width of something around 15-20". I had measured one out before and it would be 2' wide, but with the NP205 swap, the driveshaft is closer to center so I need to remeasure that part tomorrow.

At any rate, my "box" will run me somewhere between $200-$300 with a 6" long, 3" OD fill tube on the side to use the stock M715 filler, a dip tube for the fuel pick-up, a drain, and a hole cut for an aftermarket sending unit. The way I've measured it out, it will tuck in the factory location, but not hang down past the frame rail. After all my measurements are complete and the mock-up is done and I know it works, I'll post up my plans I have drawn up in JPG format. It's not CAD, but something I whipped up in greytone on Photoshop, complete with measurements so someone can use them to have their own tank made, or use them as a starting point and modify them to suit what they need.

With any luck I'll have this done and posted this weekend. Jon, if you are interested I can Email them to you in BMP format and you can make a page on the new site at some point when you have time. Since gas tanks are becoming more and more scarce, I think it might be useful to have some plans around to have a tank made that will replace the stock one without many modifications.

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on May 5, 2006, 9:07pm

Quote:

The first couple I've come up with are:
    1) http://www.aerotanks.com/diamondplates.html (like the idea, the shape and the mounting, but really don't like diamond-plate)

Hey dude, i live like 4 blocks from aerotanks... if there's anything you need let me know..(and no, im not buying you a fuel cell!)

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on May 28, 2006, 1:31am

Found another alternative, a little better dimensions and more capacity.

Make: GM (Inc. Truck)
    Dimension: 35" x 28-3/4" x 13-1/8"
    Gallons: 40
    Hollander #: 197-1283
    Liters: 151
    Lock Ring #: LO01
    Brand:
    GENERAL MOTORS (Inc. Truck), 1991-82, FUEL TANK, SUBURBAN 40 GAL, LARGE FILLER PIPE 1-5/8" ID
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Gas-....809906 75QQrdZ1

Also has two added bonuses:
    1) GM senders aren't as hard to find as Ford stuff. I can get a matching sender for about $60.
    2) Don't have to put any more Ford stuff back in my truck!!!

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on May 28, 2006, 1:51am

Quote:
    Found another alternative, a little better dimensions and more capacity.

Make: GM (Inc. Truck)
    Dimension: 35" x 28-3/4" x 13-1/8"
    Gallons: 40
    Hollander #: 197-1283
    Liters: 151
    Lock Ring #: LO01
    Brand:
    GENERAL MOTORS (Inc. Truck), 1991-82, FUEL TANK, SUBURBAN 40 GAL, LARGE FILLER PIPE 1-5/8" ID
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Gas-....809906 75QQrdZ1

Also has two added bonuses:
    1) GM senders aren't as hard to find as Ford stuff. I can get a matching sender for about $60.
    2) Don't have to put any more Ford stuff back in my truck!!!

Man, that's the tank I had in my '71 C-20... when gas prices were around 1.20 a gallon, it was painful for me to fill... only got more so in the following 2 years. Nowadays I can't imagine.

That said, if I end up with 40's on the 715 and have to ditch the under bed spare, I'll be looking at one of those tanks again as an auxiliary.