Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24v Distributor Problems - Not Turning

Default 24v Distributor Problems - Not Turning

In the process of trying to get my M715 going again, I have found that the distributor is not spinning when the engine is turned over.
    My truck still has the original 230 motor and 24v distriubtor.

I understand that the distributor is driven via the oil pump, which in turn is driven by a worm gear on the crankshaft. Looking at some parts diagrams
    I can see that there is what looks to be a keyway made into the oil pump drive gear. Not sure if the the problem lies in the key being sheared,
    oil pump problems, or a broken distributor shaft.

My question is, I am not sure where to start. I'm wondering if I should start by removing the distributor and inspecting the shaft, or from another area
    first. I haven't had too much experience removing distributors, and don't want to go in removing things before I know how to re-install and verify timing.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a common problem that could have caused the issue I'm having? Thank you!

I don't have much experience with the 230, but do remember seeing posts about broken keys on the shaft. And it's not unheard of on other engines.
    And really, if your dizzy isn't spinning then a broken key is the best problem to have... easiest to fix of all the things that would cause that.

I don't remember if they just do that sometimes or if there's another issue that causes them to break. Maybe someone that knows of what they speak will chime in.

Yeah, I'd pull the cap and mark or snap a pic of the rotor position (for install later) and pull the dizzy. Check the keyway and go from there.

I have had my rotor off quite a few times in the last few weeks. I changed to a Pertonics ignition system, (See thread about coil problems, it's under Stock, ("Not again!"). I have found that the distributor shaft has a flat side to it at the top. The rotor also has the same flat spot under it. Just remember which direction your rotor was facing before you removed it. Hope this helps you out and hope you get your problem fixed. These trucks are definitely a labor of love.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

The coupling is pinned to the distributor shaft with a roll pin.
    It probably has sheared.
    If it has, then the distributor shaft has probably seized in it's bushing.

I hadn't considered the roll pin in the shaft coupler shearing, but that makes good sense. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Please let us know what you find.
    Hopefully the distributor will come out easily. Some get corroded in the aluminum bore due to dissimilar metals.

Will do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    The coupling is pinned to the distributor shaft with a roll pin.
    It probably has sheared.
    If it has, then the distributor shaft has probably seized in it's bushing.
    Yep, there is a flex coupling on the shaft with roll pins. The shaft needs lube and is often ignored causing it to seize up.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

It appears that the distributor shaft must be corroded inside the timing cover "pipe". I took off the nut and lock washer holding the distributor assembly on, but it ain't budging. I've read in another thread that heat can sometimes work well to loosen things up. Will a propane torch be sufficient or is something hotter required? Thanks!

Propane torch would be hot enough to concentrate some heat into the aluminum timing cover where the distributor plugs into.
    Then try to rotate the distributor housing by tapping with a rubber hammer.
    Last edited by jeepdan; July 22nd, 2017 at 07:26 PM.