Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24v Distributor Problems - Not Turning

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Let me be certain that I understand. With the ignitor (distributor) installed, are you saying that you can't turn the rotor? You should not be able to rotate it when installed because it is physically connected to the oil pump etc.

The question in my mind is, did you try to crank the engine with the cap off and watch the rotor? The video didn't show that (I didn't see the fan turning).

If that is the case, get someone to mash on the foot starter switch and see if the rotor moves.
    The video is of me pushing the stater button with the distributor cap off and the distributor (ignitor assembly) installed. The starting begins at the 21 second mark. Sorry for the video quality but I was doing this all myself. If you look midway down on the left side of the screen you can see the rotor and condenser.

I realize that the rotor should not be able to spin by hand when the ignitor is properly installed. I was just trying to diagnose if the drive gear/key had sheared or shaft had broken.

This weekend I peered into the timing chain cover, where the distributor mounts, and did not see anything internal spinning while turning the engine over. I believe there is a problem with the oil pump drive gear...

My next course of action is to remove the timing chain cover to allow further inspection. Are there any tips/tricks/must-know's that would be good to know before pursuing this? Thanks!

Thanks for an update.
    Time to remove the oil pump, and give the driven gear on the pump shaft a close inspection.
    It would need to be removed first anyhow, before removing the timing cover, so start there.
    You can then shine a light up through into the timing cover hole to possibly look at the condition of the drive gear teeth.

Hopefully it's just that the driven gear has came loose on the oil pump shaft.

Gasket kits are ridiculously expensive for the tornado, so at first, I wouldn't remove anymore than you have to.

If you have to remove the timing cover, I can give a few tips when it comes time to reassemble.
    There is a trick to holding back the timing chain tensioner while putting the timing cover back on.

[I couldn't resist adding a few pictures.

The drive gear is behind oil slinger.

Here is a close up of an extra NOS drive gear that I have. It's made of bronze with what looks like bearing metal coating it.
    Note the size of the key way.

Thanks for your input, jeepdan!

I completely agree on your suggestion on removing as little as possible. Hopefully after I remove the oil pump I will be able to see the condition of the drive gear. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

I forgot to mention in my previous post, but the photos are very helpful. I haven't seen many photos of the internals of the 230, and it's nice to see vs. only looking at a diagram.

This is likely a very dumb questions - but bear with me. Do I need to drain the engine oil before removing the pump? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Large View Post
    This is likely a very dumb questions - but bear with me. Do I need to drain the engine oil before removing the pump? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to make sure. Thanks.
    No dumb questions here.

You wouldn't need to drain the oil pan, but have a catch pan ready for the oil that is filling the oil passage from the pump to the oil filter.
    Last edited by jeepdan; August 18th, 2017 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks for your helpful answer.

Boy I was hoping this was already solved and running fine...so sorry to see that is not the case...

So far, tech wise, I cant add a thing...they got you well covered.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!