Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Idea for elec wipers

Default New Idea for elec wipers

Just had an idea pop into my head.....Has anyone here tried to install a salvage yard rear wiper motor from a SUV in the windsheild frame of a M715. They should be small and plentiful at salvage yards. Probably cheap as I don't suspect there is much demand for them.

I didn't do any specific application searches, just scanned through ebay listings. Most had pretty weird mounting patterns. There were a few that might have been as easy to mount as the generic tractor or bus motors. But average prices were around 4100.

I just tossed this idea around this weekend when I noticed SUV rear wiper units in a catalog for $12 each, brand new. Unfortunately, their dimensions weren't right: 7x7" footprint.

Oh well.

Just found another problem. I checked out the rear wiper on my wife's 2002 Forester and while it was nice and compact and could be made to fit fairly easy, the swipe it makes is probably 170 degree. I think that may be to much for the way our wipers work. Another way to go is what a very resourceful young man I know did. He used motors from a John Deer tractor cab. When you think about it, they had to be in like new condition because how much farming can you do when its raining.

Check out wipers for John Deere Gator's that have a full cab. I have an XUV and the wiper motor assembly is small with the switch built in. Arc is also good and may work.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

For $50 each, John Deere tractor wipers are a drop in. Not worth messing with junkyard stuff, unless you happen to have it already, imho.

Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

That sounds like a good way to go. Went to that link but there are no pic's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat.4 View Post
    That sounds like a good way to go. Went to that link but there are no pic's.
    grrr.... I started to post it and saw all my pics gone. ed me off. Started a Flickr account but haven't had time to get all my pics from photobucket and move them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    For $50 each, John Deere tractor wipers are a drop in. Not worth messing with junkyard stuff, unless you happen to have it already, imho.

Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0
    I agree but where do you find these for $50.00 each and whats the part #? I've doing some online searching and found some good looking John Deer wiper motors but they are $150.00 to $175.00 ea.

Post 68 of that thread, Von lists an eBay auction. I didn't notice it was long ended... The seller has about a thousand other listings, though...

Post 74 has 24v ones in sto k for $30. I wonder if they'd be usable at 12v?