Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrman : How Would You Do This?

Default barrman :

Re: How Would You Do This?
    Post by barrman on Oct 4, 2006, 9:55am

I am going to try the weld option tonight if I get all my other pre trip stuff done. I think I am going to weld on the inside of the nut so I don't screw up the housing much.

Thanks again for all your help everybody.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Oct 4, 2006, 6:27pm

how about chuck some 1/2" round stock in the lathe, drill a hole in the end the size of the drill bit, insert the drill bitpointy end out and tack weld it to round stock, chuck it up in drill, drill out the bolt, then cut the drill bit a little shorter ( out of the round stock)

could even drill both out, then tack the EZ-out into the round stock, remove the broken bolts and remove the ezout

if you go for the weld to nut, let it cool before trying to remove it..heat will expand it in the hole making it tighter at first, maybe even give it a wack with a hammer after it cools, right before trying to remove it ...mechanical shock might help break it loose

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Oct 4, 2006, 10:37pm

Barrman, I spaced on asking about the acid,low voltage trick, I'm writeing a note right now! I'll get back with you on that one. Dan

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Oct 4, 2006, 10:44pm

Negative to the broken bolt, positive to the housing? similar to electrolysis rust removal but with acid instead of washing soda?

I'm very intersed in this, sounds promising.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Oct 5, 2006, 8:26am

Doug, that process is bad. On welding web.com they have talked about that and it will produce a gas that will kill ya in short order. If more info is needed I could dig up that thread.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 5, 2006, 8:29am

Mark, that is a great idea.

I spent over an hour installing my defrostor duct tubing. So, I didn't get to even look at this. Tonight is going to be busy as well. Maybe next week.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Oct 5, 2006, 10:27pm

Ok fellas, here's what I found out, (not much) The guy at work was'nt the guy that did it, BUT, he did give me some info, he called it E.D.M. Electro Discharge Machineing (might be a name brand of patented process) he said they do it in some machine shops. He told me Jerry the guy that did this made his own divise from an issue of (Home Shop Machineist) magasine. He said you can go online and check out the back issues. Sorry I don't know what issue it was in but maybe you could find it if further interested. Sorry, planted a seed but could'nt water it! Dan