Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil & T-Case

I read an interesting chain of comments on the internet that I thought I would share w/ this group. The site: http://www.eng-tips.com/gviewthread....d/89/qid/59275

Of particular interest: When the oil in a transfer case gets really hot, there are two possibilities: too high a viscosity and too high the oil level. Under both conditions excessive churning of the lubricant may lead to a substantial temperature rise that may shorten the lubricant life substantially.

I run 75W-90 synthetic lube filled to the exact manufacturer spec, 2 1/4 quarts, bottom of the fill hole on flat ground, and have seen my tcase temp gauge go above 320 degrees...end of the dial....must be more reasons than those 2...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The too-high of a level could result in aeration - not a very efficient medium for heat dissipation. I'd suggest that this aeration, combined with an inefficient design to start with puts us in a position to simply expect high temps. The heavy cast iro case helps noe, either. Bottom line - It's probably a combination of little factors that builds into a big issue. A remote cooler or swap seems to be the only fixes.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Default used winch - what is fair price?

Yes, I too believe that is a design and/or manufacturing issue w/ many of our T-cases. I have read on this site in the past where persons have overfilled there in an attempt to keep them cool. According to the information in the article, they may have made their condition worse. Also, moving to a heavier weight oil to combat viscosity breakdown seem a reasonable -but after reading, this too may make the condition worse.

I wonder if a guy could run some of that sick high temp ford automatic tranny fluid in the NP200? Some of the 'chain' cases run auto fluid.

??
    Big Blocks RULE!

Leaks out the seals like water...just too thin...AB Linn once told me someone had tried it but had to keep filling the thing every 20 minutes or so....exaggerated but you get the drift...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Ya know, if ya get later style seals they're about half as thin and you could double them up. ATF would pump through any pump cooler that someone could make up too.
    Big Blocks RULE!

As long as it sealed....seems it would have a chance...

Yeah, so what could happen? It could overheat or burn a seal? LOL! It would be nice and clean after that ATF bath.
    Big Blocks RULE!

If it leaked enough you might be in violation of some EPA reg about pollutants....might have to file an Environmental Impact Statement just to pull out of the driveway...could be lots of fun!!
    brute4c