Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canvas top installation

Nah, I've never seen any templates or measurements for that.

If it's a tight fitting top like my Surplus City top then you'll probably want to get as close to original locations as you can instead of laying the top on it and best guessing it.

Did they leave the holes from the screws holding the snaps? If they covered with bondo or paint you might be able to sand it down and see them.

On my next day off... could be a little bit... I can pull my top and do some measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Nah, I've never seen any templates or measurements for that.

If it's a tight fitting top like my Surplus City top then you'll probably want to get as close to original locations as you can instead of laying the top on it and best guessing it.

Did they leave the holes from the screws holding the snaps? If they covered with bondo or paint you might be able to sand it down and see them.

On my next day off... could be a little bit... I can pull my top and do some measuring.
    Yeah there is bondo on the door frame so looks like I'll have to sand it down to find the original locations. Surplus city has a good video on installing their top so at least I have an idea of where they are.

Ok, I started rebuilding my bows and now I realize that the pipe that's welded to the frame around the door was altered also. It may not even be in the right location. Seems they also added about a 2 inch strip of sheet metal around the outside of the frame for this custom top they had made. Or maybe is was part of an old hard top who knows. Can anyone get me some measurements on the location of that first bow stud?

Here is a pic. I just have my new bow just stuck in with friction for now till I fix that stud

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8fcifjKT5tU72ZS23

I think someone has posted those measurements but can't remember which thread.
    I'm off tomorrow, if I can't find them I'll do some measuring tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I think someone has posted those measurements but can't remember which thread.
    I'm off tomorrow, if I can't find them I'll do some measuring tomorrow.
    Well that didn't work out... Life said NO.

But the measurement for the middle bow stub is in the thread I linked to on the first page of this thread. And a pic of the frame, so maybe you can see if that strip of metal you were talking about is on there.

No worries Von. Life does that to me all the time. After searching around yesterday I saw those measurements in the thread you linked and sure enough they moved the stud.

That sheet metal definitely isn't original but it doesn't look like its going to get in the way at all so going to leave it for now and just remove the snaps on it. Tackle that another day.

Hopefully will get the top on this weekend then onto the lights. Blinkers and stop lights aren't working. There is a dual 12 and 24 volt on this truck and not sure which is operating those.

Here is an old pics that might give you an idea of where the bows should be.

Thanks for all the help!