Thread: Electrical contact cleaner

Default Electrical contact cleaner

I'm looking for some suggestions for an electrical contact cleaner that will cut through oxidation. A lot of what I can find is not much different than brake cleaner - I need something maybe with a mild acid to clean up 25 year old copper connections.

How about something, maybe a light grease to protect the connections for the future as well?

Thanks
    Chris

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

A solution of baking soda and water may be an option, depending on how sensitive the component is to getting wet.

Most aerosol can contact cleaners don't do a whole lot in my experience for any type of real corrosion, or oxidation. They are mainly made for removing oil from electrical contact points.

To add to the above, I agree. A light thin coat of dialectic grease works well for helping to protect electrical connections.

It depends on what type of connection, u can use brasso and it will make it bright and shiny again, but you can only use brasso if u can git all of the brasso off of it or it will gum it up. And if you put something onto it after its clean it will most likely weaken the connection.
    -FrEaK
    -SuPaFrEaK-

Uh, most connections are typical spade connectors on taillight sockets and whatnot. Mostly copper coated or other coated steel pieces. The copper coated stuff gets dirty pretty easily and this thing has a reputation of poor electrical connections.

I kept thinking dielectric grease too but I was having trouble accepting the "dielectric = non-conductive" but I guess that's what I need for protection after cleaning the contacts.

I found some stuff called DeoxIT but it's not cheap, at least not cheap enough for this project. I might try the baking soda - will soaking the contacts briefly, or even swabbing with a Q-tip work? I don't want to have to scrub or brush each little connection or spend too much time at this.

Thanks
    Chris

Lucky,
    IIRC mixing salt with vinegar will create a mild acetic acid, it will clean copper, does a real good job on pennies, but I would be carefull of time immersed. it will pit the copper if left too long. you could also clean with some scotch brite or even a rubber eraser ala the slotcar repairs trick from youth.

di-electric grease is non-conductive, the contacts will cut thru the grease where they are touching allowing the circuit to work, but not the best thing, they make contact grease, it is conductive, a little film is good, not too much due to any runs that develop will create conductive paths, you can always use good old fashioned vasoline(cheap $$wise but about the same thing as di-electric grease), the terminals touching will wipe off the vasoline where needed for circuits as long as the connectors are in good shape, the excess will prevent corrosion everywhere else