Thread: TBI wiring

Default TBI wiring

I have aquired a donor 88 suburban and plan to put the TBI 350 in one of my 715's. Searching painless's site and the web in general, I'm not really seeing an easy way to avoid using the original PCM from the Burb. I was hoping to eliminate a lot of the unneccesary electronics/emission stuff. I don't really want to install O-2 sensors and all, but it may be completely neccesary since I'm a little ignorant in this area. Anyone got any advice? Thanks, Bill

Cool

Bill you are in luck. I am currently doing the same thing with the students I teach at an area high school. TBI is probably one of the easiest ways to convert from a carb to fuel injection. You can go two ways. There is a company that makes a standalone system but there name excapes me. A friend of mine is running it on his CJ-7. I will talk to him tonight and get the companys contact info for you. As I remember it was kinda pricey. It really boils down to what I tell everyone when they start to build a car: Do you have more time or more money? More time, do it yourself and\or learn. More money, buy the wiring harness and plug & play. Since you have the suburban everything is there that you need. If you have some wiring expierience and can understand a schematic you will be okay. Even if you don't and are willing to try to do it yourself, I have access to all of the schematics you will need and will be willing to email/ post/ fax or what ever them to you. You will use your stock pcm and you will have to use an 02 sensor. NO converter, no smog pump, or any other emission equip. I will be willing to tell you exactly (per schematic) what wires you will and won't need.
    Let me know.

Rusty

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I did the Holley 950 Commander system for my 396. It works like a champ and was fairly easy to get up and running. The programming is probably the worst part.

As far as it goes, at the very least with a stock GM TBI, you'll have to run:

O2 Sensor
    Coolant temp sensor
    MAP sensor
    TPS
    Air temp sensor
    Distributor pickup

At this point you'd be easier using the stock wire harness and paring it down to just these items. The EGR sensor could be taken out of circuit and the other stuff like the Carbon canister purge, etc could also be disposed of too. Of course the computer will always store a fault for the missing items, if they are inputs to the ECM but without a Check Engine light, it won't be an issue and it will still run fine.

Thanks for both the responses. I definately will be in touch Rusty. The still running fine part is exactly what I wanted to hear as I plan to eliminate everything I can for simplicity sake.