Thread: Bellhousing Q?

Default Bellhousing Q?

I was changing my oil today and I noticed that there is a threaded hole in the bottom of the bellhousing just behind the oil pan bolt. Is this supposed to have a bolt in it or is open? Mine was open and was dirty and oily.

Second question where can I get a new oil pan bolt? Mine is almost stripped and the brass bushing is kind of shot.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The hole in the bellhousing is for a plug when you are deep-water fording. Normally the plug stays in the glove box and is only installed when crossing water.

As far as the bolt, I assume you are referring to the drain plug? If so, that should be able to be found at most any auto parts store. I am sure someone will post up here shortly with the thread size for you. I don't know it off the top of my head.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Drain plug...thanks I was trying to think of the proper name. The one in the truck seems to have a small BB looking magnet in it.

The hole in the bellhousing is for the fording plug. It remains open in normal use.

According to the Quirks Manual, if you close up that drain hole, you will soon have oil contamination on your clutch.

Zach

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    According to the Quirks Manual, if you close up that drain hole, you will soon have oil contamination on your clutch.

Zach
    A little planned oil leakage, eh? Gotta love those old manuals!

My favorite is the one in nearly all old British manuals: "reasonably tight"
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™