Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine swap advice

Default engine swap advice

currently my 715 has the stock 230 tornado. Im looking to do an engine swap when i get home from deployment in the summer. I was thinking of a 350 or a 454. just wanted to get some ideas as to which one would be the better choice, or any other ideas yall might have. not looking to throw down the $$ for a diesel. Thanks

Default engine swap

I'm in the same situation as you .you will get more info if you use the search option as most most of the swaps that are used are not direct and will take some fabrication. depending on your skills set there are many configurations that can be used to repower our trucks. lots of luck, good hunting, and thank you for your service.

Well if you dont want to plunk down the dough for a diesel then you might want to consider the small block. Parts for a big block are always more than a small block both new and used. Small block chevy parts are everywhere and cheap. I would hazard to say the cheapest of any make--chevy ford or dodge.

That said if I had to do it all over I would have just waited until I found a 6.5 diesel and just done it. There are alot of surplus trucks/blazers with the 6.5 automatic trans and mated transfer case out there. I got a great deal on my engine out of a wrecked camaro and I'm way too far in to it to turn back now.

Just something to think on

thanks for that. im not in any hurry to do it, so maybe i will hold out.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I did a 396 Chevy Big Block, fuel injected it, and currently run a TH400 behind it. It is a good runner, and plenty of power, but I am planning to go diesel soon. Why? The big block is noisy, hot, and gets around 5 MPG on a good day, unloaded, mostly downhill.

A diesel on the other hand will have as much if not more torque, get double the mileage, and run cooler, and won't need to work as hard doing the job.

That of course is my personal preference. Individual results may vary......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I think diesel are better in our kind of truck because they offer more torque at lower rpm ..... that give them a plus with the weight of those trucks
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

if you do your homework and look a little bit, you will see that diesel engines can be had for about the same as a gas engine. I see 6bt cummins all the time for 1k-1500 dollars with decent miles. they are cheap to rebuild and last forever. by the time you buy a decent 350, do any work to it at all you will have that much tied up in one. Go diesel you won't be sorry.
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Plus they just peg the cool factor--nothing better than belchin back coal

snakeeater, where are you seeing these prices? sounds like im going diesel too. but i dont know anything about them is the problem

Patience is the key. The first generation 6B motors with the VE rotary pumps (used on Dodge trucks up to 1993) are the cheapest. The non intercooled versions of these are even cheaper. They are still rated at 160 HP and 400 TQ which is still plenty.

The second generation p7100 inline pump motors bring more but can be had. I saw a motor with a buy it now for 1400 on Ebay that was local to me. Great deal. These are easier to get insane power out of and are still mechanical.

The later second generation (model year for Dodge) 1998.5 is when the 24 valve came in. These can still be had at a descent price. But you have wiring and an inection pump that was prone to fail with low fuel pressure. These motors had lift pumps going out as soon as 150,000 miles and killing the pump. They are good motors, just take more $$$ and time to make them on par with the 12 valve version.

Weight is certainly something to factor in. The 6B dressed out is almost 1200 pounds! That is a lot of weight on a drive axle.....expecially if it is not built for that. The 715 Dana 60 ( IN MY OPINION) will survive street driving, but with repeated loads or in a bind, it will break. These motors come opn string real low

All I can speak of is on the Cummins because thats all I know/deal with.