Thread: The 'Merica Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The 'Merica Build

Well, I need to document this, so here goes.

At the base of America's mountain Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs sits my '67 M715. It came to me from Iowa, had been sitting in a hanger for years. Rust free, and overall in nice shape. Thanks again, ebay.

The plan? Well, I want to keep the truck stock, as long as it makes sense, but since I like the fire truck red, I posted this over here in Modified Tech so as not to irritate anyone.

The truck runs now, which is great, and does not run too bad, so the initial restoration which will extend through 2018 is to go through the truck and get it all in 'proper' running order and cleaned up. I want to keep the Tornado as long as it will run without giving me fits, so I will replace all rubber, fluids, flush everything, soda blast and rebuild the carb, replace the plugs, etc. From there, I want to install new seats (Corbeau) and a bench in the back for the kids. I am thinking of a dump bed kit too, for the kids, when they are driving me crazy. 'Time to pretend you are in a rocket, kids, hold on tight...'

Living out here, it makes sense to do the axle swap and discs, so I will probably do that at some point, but not really soon. This year I will do some other stuff like fab a new bumper, swap lights for LEDs where needed, and add some lights, fix the parking brake, relocate the batteries, install a remote oil filter to keep the oil extra shiny, replace tires, and blast and paint everything that I can along the way.

I have a 5.7 LS in the garage that I have to put together, and a NP241...so I just need a 4L80E and I will have the makings of the second phase once the Tornado gives out, if it ever does, otherwise I will put that stuff in another project.

To note, I know very little but I have the tools and blood to donate to the truck, and I love it. This is my sort of fun, figuring this stuff out, researching and learning, asking questions, being part of the community, etc.

Feel free to PM me and stop by if you are in town and on the west side, by Garden of the Gods. I provide free lunches and PBR's to Zone folks. I surely will owe you all at least that, and more, by the time I get this truck where I want it to be.

Running Total: $5,000 for the truck, $1,000 for shipping = $6,000

Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; March 5th, 2018 at 05:00 PM.