Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Line Problem?

Default Brake Line Problem?

I ran all new brake lines. Only one leak Well I've been told only one leak is good for a first timer bending up new lines. Of course it has to be on the passenger left rear where there is the longest line on the rear axle. I bent up another line today and installed it. Same thing, leaking at the wheel cylinder threads to brake line. I'm not sure if I'm getting it tight enough. Any suggestions or better tool. I've been using a 7/16's brake line wrench with a bend to get in there. Any suggestions or info would be great.

You have to tighten the brake-line nut snug but not over tight as you could strip it. I'd check the threads on the wheel cylinder maybe you cross threaded with the first one a buggered it up or the wheel cylinder was just has bad threads not allowing it to seat.

You did double flare the ends right?
    Zone holster maker

Pardon my dumb question, but you did use thread tape didn't you?

No thread tape on inverted flare fittings. The seal is at the tube flare instead of at the threads like on a tapered pipe fitting.

Chris

Yeah, he did the double-flares. He made one up for me too to replace the one I tore apart with the spare tire holder. Same rear passenger line, as a matter of fact! Mine don't leak though!
    -- Tim Taylor

I checked the threads from the first line I removed, no signs of cross threading. WTF, anyway the end I'm using for the wheel cylinder is the factory double flare, no problems on any other connections, now two leaks with two different brake lines. I'm assuming the problem lies in the wheel cylinder at this point. Taking things apart and inspecting the wheel cylinder threads will probably be the next step. Arg.

What about the tubing you're using? Could it be too hard to make the double flare and it's cracking at some point? SS hardlines have this problems sometimes.

Chris

It's pretty soft, not stainless. It is the easy bend tubing, you can bend it by hand, and it is colored in Marine corps. green. The end of the first line I removed looks just fine. I tightened the second line as much as possible without stripping. Checked it 4 times now and no apparent leaks, yet time will tell. The first one took about a week before it started leaking.

If it leaks again, I'd replace that wheel cylinder, as that's the only part that is NOT changing. That's all that I can think of.

If you want a little more clearance on the brake line to wheel cylinder, take the drum off and pull the wheel cylinder...you can then bring the line through the backing plate, tighten correctly, and reinstall.

You might do that if the cylinders threads got messed up anyway...