Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: generator instead of alternator

Tim, you have 40 amps more than a stock truck with the usual 60 amp alternator...run a fair amount of accessories...a bigger 24 to 12 volt converter than other folks can maybe....

Thanks for the heads up on the error...I try to catch where they were printed wrong but dont get everything.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    ...I can imagine that it is worth something to a collector or someone who is trying to replicate a M-715 radio truck, as it seems there weren't many of this version made.
    I hear plenty of people tell they have the cut-out for the rectifier, but with none of the high-amp gear installed, so I suppose it wasn't as rare as one would think. Apparently it's just rather rare on the surplus market.

And Joe, I'm already the coolest kid on the block--I have an M715!
    -- Tim Taylor

I would estimate no more than 10% of M715's came with that setup....I have only seen 3 working examples.

Hmmm... Are you counting the ones with the cutout for the setup, or just those like mine with the gear all there?
    -- Tim Taylor

From all the ones I have seen with the cutout or other signs that they had the setup...are there a bunch more out west with it than I realize?

I have 8 715's. One with the cutout and 1 with the cutout and all the parts. My estimate is 25%. What would be a typical ratio of radio trucks to cargo trucks?

I think Fisherman's had the cutout. I thought a few others I've seen did too. I'll have to pay more attention.
    -- Tim Taylor

By "cutout", do you mean a notch in the front grill so to say? My M-725 that I just got has an unusual cutout, although it is very crudely cut. I was wondering what it was for. Although, I don't have any of the other electrical components or connection types that Binford has. Wonder what else it could have been cut out for.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

To see what the "cutout" is, look at the 3rd picture down in the link brute4c posted in post #5.
    Last edited by Binford; April 16th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
    -- Tim Taylor

Yup, thats the exact type of cutout that is on my 725, except it looks like whoever did it used a torch, lol. So if I don't have the 100 amp alternator, or any of the other electrical equipment, why would they have cut that peice out? Unless there was a high amp kit on there at one time, and then changed out for a regular amp alt. later.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725