Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vrod02 : Fuel pump Guru?

Default barrman :

Re: Fuel pump Guru?
    Post by barrman on Nov 28, 2006, 8:59am

Cool, it looks like you narrowed it down to a part you can work on while standing up. Always a good thing.

You are at the point were a lot of people have just unplugged the fuel lines from the mechanical pump, added an electric pump and left the mechanical pump to just power the wipers. Mine was that way when I got it and I know of at least 3 others just like it. The cost to you today is about the same. Just make sure you put a filter before and after the new electric pump. Preferrably one of those Fram G2 see through ones at Walmart. They are cheap, available in just about every town you will go to and actually work for most of the big chunks of junk floating around in your tank right now.

Default xjchief :

Post by xjchief on Nov 28, 2006, 1:16pm

Mine came with the electric pump the military probably installed. When it died it was actually cheaper to rebuild the mechanical pump than to replace the electric one. Also, I added a fuel filter off the line out of the tank and one after the pump. No telling what's in those lines after almost 40 years. I personally wouldn't use a Fram filter- even to make a pot of coffee.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Nov 28, 2006, 3:42pm

I agree about the Fram usage except for this use only. They are cheap, you can see stuff building up and change them out. At least, that is what I do.

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Dec 1, 2006, 10:16pm

As I blew through it,in reverse, I could feel the pressure build and then woooffff!!! I need to drain the tank again.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Dec 4, 2006, 10:04am

You might have blown the "sock" off. If so, then just put in some filters and drive it.