Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving "empty" ride quality - Rear Leafs

Have you thought about converting to a 4 link suspension and coil overs? The cost of a kit is what will get you though.
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Have you thought about converting to a 4 link suspension and coil overs? The cost of a kit is what will get you though.
    No... most or less I'm looking for it to behave like a modern 3/4 ton pickup in ride quality, power, handling, braking/steering.

Power, handling, steering, braking I have already completed to modern day. Ride is only thing thats left.

I think pulling leafs out... and then adding a air-lift airbag assist for extra load capacity seems to be the ticket.

To be honest the truck may actually see a sway bar if the ride ever gets soft enough.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Spray your leafs with Fluidfilm. It will keep them from rusting and will improve your ride noticeably.
    I marinated mine with Fluidfilm, and the difference in ride was barely perceptible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I marinated mine with Fluidfilm, and the difference in ride was barely perceptible.
    Probably because your leafs were not rusted solid like most in the North East.

Default Leaf Spring Removal

Counting the longest leaf as #1, I removed #3 from the front and #3 and #5 from the rear.

Much improved ride and could still haul heavy loads without noticeable squatting.

I was also running a 6.2 diesel w/ turbo in front of the stock T98 transmission, or about the same weight as a Chevy Bigblock.

Quote Originally Posted by rollie715 View Post
    Counting the longest leaf as #1, I removed #3 from the front and #3 and #5 from the rear.

Much improved ride and could still haul heavy loads without noticeable squatting.

I was also running a 6.2 diesel w/ turbo in front of the stock T98 transmission, or about the same weight as a Chevy Bigblock.
    how long ago did you do that swap? are the leafs sagging or flattening out at all?

@hayeselmotors

That's an interesting point that I never really thought of.

Mine rides pretty good after restoring it.
    But I have NOS springs in the back, and all of the spring eyes/ shackle bolts are free and lubricated well.

And the fresh, new NDT tires are only running 25# of air front and rear.

That was not a stated prerequisite-- the only experiences I can relate are my own.

From Old_Red_Jeep: "how long ago did you do that swap? are the leafs sagging or flattening out at all?"

The truck already had high mileage from use at a construction contractors, and I only had the truck for about a year after removing the leafs. I really never noticed any sagging or flattening while I had it.

My .02-- YMMV.