Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: M715 Hauler / Crawler Build

Shock hoops look good. I have used a lot of Ruff Stuff's build parts. There quality is great and prices are very fair. The truck is looking good.

Agreed on Ruff Stuffs quality and price, also doesn’t hurt that they’re only five minutes up the road from me.

The shock hoops are welded on. I should be able to run 14” stroke shocks on the front and rear, just need to decide if the Fox 2.0 IFPs are worth the extra $40 per shock over the Bilstein 5125s.

I'm not sure about the red calipers but I just couldn't find the motivation to paint them black before I put them on.

The canvas top showed up a few days ago. It came from New Life Canvas; it’s the mil spec canvas with the oversized rollup back window. Fit and finish looks great. I had it set on the truck to air out and take shape. When I got home the next day I found it swarming with honey bees, I had to wait until the sun went down before they all flew off. So now it’s stinking up the garage.

The rear upper shock mounts are done and welded on.

The rear lower shock mounts are done. I did one last check for shock body clearance at the frame when drooped and at the caliper when compressed.

The brakes are completely plumbed. I used a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve with pressure switch for the brake lights. I used 3/16” epoxy coated steel hardline for the long runs and -3 braided flex lines where needed.

The Fuel line is completely plumbed. I used 3/8” epoxy coated steel hardline for the long runs and -6 braided flex line where needed. I routed it out of the tank, over the arched crossmember and up the passenger side frame rail to the fuel pump.

The power steering is completely plumbed with the hydroboost in the loop. I used a power steering cooler from a modern Ford diesel (6.0 or 6.4 not really sure).

The engine oil cooler is installed and plumbed. I used a Ford E350 6.4 diesel transmission cooler.

I sprayed some bedliner on the cab floor. This stuff went on really well, very simple to work with and is made in America.

I’ve been picking up the Autometer gauges along the way. I’m reusing the speedo. I’ve got the matching tach that I’m going to sink into the dash behind the steering wheel.

Optima 34/78 yellow top with the Ruffstuff battery box has a new home.

Looking good. Good progress. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks Behemoth.

I went with the Fox shocks. They are rebuildable and revalveable by the user, no need to send them in to be rebuilt or tuned. I also like to support American companies that still manufacture here in the US.

I have to say this is yet another one of my favorite trucks on this forum. Cleanly executed and well balanced. Great work.

RM
    If it ain't broke, it will be.

Why isnt there any arch in the springs ? in fact it seems there is negative arch, bowed up and not down. is there a reason for this i,am not seeing ? the rears have a little arch.

Thanks Dude, much appreciated.

On the leaf springs; I wanted to keep the ride height low, I didn't want to run shims to set caster and I didn't want to move the spring perches on the axle. Springs with very little/no arch seemed to fall in line with all my wants. With that said, I pulled the front leaf springs from the front of an early 90s Dodge 3/4 ton. The 25- 30 year old springs may be a little tired.