Thread: Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

After 3 years of trying to live with the crappy, Chinese wiper motors that mount to the windshield frame that were somewhere around $20 a side, I've had it. They work great anytime it isn't raining, and so I have tried to seek out a new solution.

I did the YJ conversion on Grantshire's truck, and it worked well, but did require a small mod to the wiper arms because the M-series windshield is a bit shorter. It also leaves a lot of exposed, finger pinching linkage out in the open, that isn't weatherproof. Boat wiper motors are expensive and usually not very much longer lived either.

Recently I've been working on a '73 Bronco for a customer (yes, I usually do bikes, but some of my customers request I work on their vehicles) and in the course of ordering parts I discovered a very nice kit for converting the vacuum wipers on early Broncos to electric. The beauty of this kit is, that it comes with both motors that are gear-drive and self parking, and it comes with the switch and instructions. I just received it today, but I plan on documenting the install here.

Looks like it should fit the bill nicely, although it isn't cheap, but if it works reliably, its worth every penny to me.

Stay tuned for more posts.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'll be watching this one Randy I have 1 wiper and it's Hand driven atm lol. If this works out for you I might look into doing it instead of trying to fix the vacuum lines. I need to get a new arm for the pass side....
    Chris

Agreed, keep us posted, and dont forget the camera
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Will do! Looks like this weekend I will get started on this, as I need to install my new glass in the windshield too. I'll post up all the pics as well.

how not cheap is "not cheap"?

The entire kit is around $200. Again, pricey, but it is of very good looking quality unlike those cheap electric wiper conversions I used before.

I'll post up a pic of the kit when I get a chance to lay it out.

If I understand what you are asking, here are measurements from when I added YJ wipers:

I finally go around to putting wipers on. I bought a YJ motor and linkage over the winter. I mounted the linkage first. I welded up the passenger side hole, then redrilled both sides with a 7/8" hole saw. I ised a file to cut the keyway slots in the holes. The center to center of the wiper posts was about 22-7/8"<br />
    Thanks, George

That's exactly what I was looking for- thanks!

Sub, it was late when I posted (for an old guy like me), I gave you some bad info. I believe the stock distance post to post is 22.5. Check this thread out:
    Anyone tried a YJ wiper conversion?
    Thanks, George

Link please, or part number?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk