Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

So you want how much for the axles?

Well today the dodge carcass is gone. If I look back at the posts, it arrived 11/18 and was scrapped today without motor mounts, motor, trans, tcase, axles, engine and interior wiring harnesses, driveshafts, gas tank, heating/AC box, intercooler, rad, brake booster and plow. That's longer than I would have liked but I have been able sell some unused parts and have more to go.

The motor can't go in until I spring over the front or have a GM front Dana 60. I'm looking for one with a matching 14 bolt with 4.10s if anyone knows of a set.

It's nice to have the dodge gone because now I can fit my scrambler and don't have to climb over it to get to the other side of the shop.

Now the focus shifts to the M725.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

These projects are kinda like building a house: The big stuff happens fast, like framing and a roof, then it all seems to come to a halt as you sort all the little details.....

Glad to see it moving along though!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That's pretty much what it's like Randy, I think things will move faster now because the jeep is so much easier to work on. The next thing is the axle, that could hold me up.

But that leads to a question I could use some help with and that is lockers or not? If you see this project and were in my shoes would you go with lockers like the limited slip/detriot in the cucv's or just stay open?

I'm not sure what time would be spent on road vs off and normally I'd go with lockers on anything that would go offroad but then there's the concern with tire wear. I won't be rock crawlin in this thing and selectable lockers are not in the budget so I'm thinking open.

For tires I'm thinking about 40" MT/Rs on H2 rims which would mean 4.56 gears or 37" MT/Rs with 4.10s.

Well, in my opinion, and you'll get plenty more I am sure.... I'd go with a Detroit locker in the rear only. The reason I say this, is because without a locker and the way these trucks don't flex, inevitibly, everytime I am off road I tend to drive up on to something and lift one of the rear wheels in the process. Then I am stuck. I always feel a little silly when I have such a capable truck that has no more forward momentum. Then its stacking rocks or hi-lifting off of something.

I don't think tire wear will be much of an issue unless you plan on daily driving it, and honestly as heavy as these things are, most I've ridden in or driven with lockers, even a Detroit, are fairly seamless.

Now all that aside, I'd personally stay away from selectable. Just personal opinion, but ARB's always seem to be broken, or need some kind of attention, and usually just when you need them most. I don't really have any personal experience with Eaton electric stuff, but again, my mantra is keep it simple.

So the motor mounts are cut off, the engine bay is ready but the front end has to go in first.

And now for the fun stuff, today I picked up the axles!

CUCV Dana 60 front 4.56 gears (I have yet to determine the carrier) and 14 Bolt rear 4.56 with a detroit.

Nice! I am still so on the fence about whether or not to do an axle swap.....

I'd go with a detroit in the front and an ox lock selectable in the rear. If it's out of the price range then a detroit in the rear

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Nice! I am still so on the fence about whether or not to do an axle swap.....
    Well Randy, there's a laundry list of reasons so guess I should go through them:
    1) gears
    5.87 is just too low for the cummins and it's not worth the trouble to gear swap
    4.56 in the CUCV is right in line with the cummins in the 37-40" tires range
    2) brakes
    from what I've seen it's very expensive to swap the drums for discs in these.
    I plan on 4 wheel discs with the dodge booster, here's the source for the rear:
    http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...dard-p-10.html
    3) strength
    from what I understand the front closed knuckle 60 has the strength of the open knuckle 44, that's just not enough for the weight of the cummins
    4) bolt pattern/parts accessibility
    although the niche military bolt pattern is cool, I'd prefer to have the unlimited rim choices of the 8 lug. Which leads to overall available parts, I'd need to go to any parts store and have access to parts in a bind. There will be long trips to remote places were I need to get parts.
    5) lockers
    they come in the CUCV
    6) cost
    of all the things I mentioned, if you include the litter racks and dodge axles that I sold, the dana 60 and bolt 14 were covered by the parts sold

I still have to work on fabbing the front to the width of the spring perches and set up steering which would be easier on the stock axles.

Quote Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
    I'd go with a detroit in the front and an ox lock selectable in the rear. If it's out of the price range then a detroit in the rear
    When I was looking for axles, the choice was to go with lockers or open.
    Thanks for the replies, lockers it is

Can I identify the detroit in the 14 bolt with a visual inspection?

I haven't put it on jack stands to test the locker because I figured a quick search online would show what the detroit looks like installed but with the carrier I can't tell. Any advise?

Also I did some test fitting of the engine as I needed the hoist to move the axles.

It's a tight fit for sure. I have to squeeze in the ac compressor, heater box, work around the steering and that doesn't include the rad and intercooler. Now the fun begins.