Thread: Swapping the generator with a 24 volt alternator.........

Has anyone changed the generator on the 230 inline 4 to a 24 volt alternator? If so, where do you find the alternator? Are there other parts i'll need and are there any modifications that need to be done with the current bracket? If I've overlooked anything please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

If you swap the generator with the alternator you will need a conversion kit. The Amry made them to upgrade M35s from one to the other. The good news is they are both the same size. So it will bolt right in (I'm assuming your talking GI here). Just change the pully over. I might even have the GI conversion kit, but I'll have to look and get back to you. The alternators are plentiful, but not cheap.
    Zone holster maker

Thats right, mine cost me 190.00. If you do get one make sure you get one with a pully, mine was a pain to adapt.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

What is the 230 inline 4 your asking about?
    Just for anyone who may not be aware, as it has come up in the past, the M715 family were the first family of MV's equipped with alternators...but you are talking about a ?diesel? I guess??
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Many M715 still had generators and voltage regulators on them...Mostly the 100 amp models for commo.
    Battlewagon I have the adaptor kit if you are interested in it. New in the package. E-mail me @ k8icu@earthlink.net
    Zone holster maker

I have a 725 that I wanted to keep the 24 volt system on so Im using a 1 wire wilson 24 volt alt. on mine with a 350 sbc. I have a 12 volt alt. and separate battery for the engine and other accessories.
    carquest and probably others sell 24 volt alternators. my cost was 125.00 plus core as we are bumper to bumper now. as carquest it was 120.00
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715