ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old May 25th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

AMC was not involved in the 230 at all. Kaiser Jeep owned Jeep until 1970 or so...AFTER the 230 came and went.
Kaiser did use the civilian version of the 230 from 1963 to 1965 in the Universal series and the Full Size Jeeps. Then they redesigned it and used it from in the M715 family, correctly called the G890 series, from 1966 (prototypes) to 1969 (Possibly early 1970).

There were no other engines or transmissions used in the stock M715 trucks other than the modified for the military truck 230's.

There has been talk over the decades here at the Zone about the different input shafts needed to swap other engines in and mate to the stock trans and the T18 vs T98 diffewrences as well. We have been told uin years past the the 304 and 360 AMC have been mated to the T98 by swapping input shafts, bellhousings and adding a spacer...so I knew it has been done...just had never seen one.

I am extremely confident that someone did this with your truck...found the components and swapped the stock setup to a less troublesome, more common engine.

Its not a bad thing...would have been interesting if such a thing had been done factory...maybe they would have lived longer...

To me, the 230 is just another of the "Wow...what is that?" things about the M715 that make it desirable to some people....like me for example...but nothing wrong with yours...I love seeing all the variety and possibilities...THAT is a big reason we ever got started right there!!

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!
Old May 25th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

I agree with the above. I also have no problem with the original 230. It did what it was designed to do. Unfortunately, today so many out there (not me) want power steering, hydra-boost power brakes, lots of torque and so forth. Nothing is wrong with that. It is just not what I remember and I like the truck stock. I love the whine of the transfer case. That is what I remember from my days in 1969 and 1970.
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier

Its all personality!!

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Private

plumas.placer.miner is a Soldier
Default Transfer Case Seals and Gaskets

I am getting close to being able to get "Bluto" (that's what I have decided to name the truck, paying homage to Popeye's strong but dim-witted nemesis that always tries to abscond with Olive Oyl for some nefarious, but unknown reason)

and for John Blutarsky in Animal House,

to the DMV for registration and to pay the government the taxes I owe on the truck and the matching 1968 M101A1 trailer. Then I will be able to enjoy the truck. Maybe give it a little parade action for July 4th, or even to drive around Reno during Hot August Nights. You get the idea.

So, the last weekend, I tackled the transfer case leaks. I have to say it looked smooth, then it looked ugly, then it ended on a smooth note again. [*whew*] I thought there was one leaky seal (output yoke to front diff) and a leaky gasket (output yoke to rear diff).

But when I got to looking closely, I discovered a third seal that was leaking under the Parking Brake. Uh huh...yeah (In my best Stimpy voice: "Joy".)

I thought it would be easy...oh brother was I wrong. The "J" bolt that holds the entire parking brake assembly together wouldn't come out because it's too close to the floor pan. I thought I was going to need to drop the entire transfer case! While I have the tools and ability to do it, I wanted to find a different way. I was under the truck by myself because my teenage helper was with his friends wasting his time playing video games, drinking Mountain Dew and getting his fingers orange from cheese puffs. Suffice it to say, I didn't want to drop that behemoth T-case by myself for the first time doing it.

So what did I do?

Well, since Bluto is a rust bucket (did I mention it was in Michigan where they salt the roads) before it was mine, and someone had put a new floor in it. So, I just cut out some of the old, rusted floor that was covered by the new floor and the "J" bolt came right out. Now I just need to figure out how to fix the hole in the floor that will no-doubt let exhaust fumes into the cabin. *sigh*. Okay, I know it was a low-rent workaround, but I could easily justify cutting out some of that rusty mess.

Other than that, the new seals and gaskets went in without a fuss (the blue grease on the shaft spindle is sticky marine grease). No...not Marine Corps grease, so "At ease" Marines. haha
BTW, the bearings all looked good, which was a relief. *I didn't know what I was going to find when I got in there*

There was one hitch (did I mention that I am not a mechanic?). It's true. Okay, so I broke one the of the caps on a U-Joint when I was taking out the drive shafts and yoke. Well, lucky me (sometimes) I had bought a U-joint online and I was keeping it as a spare. I replaced the U-joint with the spare I had. You never know when a U-joint goes out on the trail (when you are least expecting it) and ONLY a spare U-joint and a set of tools will get you out of the woods (I walked 20 miles one night out of my mining claims...but that is a story for another day).
So, I need to buy a new "spare" U-joint.

Today, I will replace the gear oil and gaskets for both the front and rear differentials, and put in the new shocks. I have stock rear shocks and after-market front gas shocks.

I should have Bluto ready to go to the DMV by June 1st. I am on Summer break, so I have time to work on it.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; May 29th, 2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Private

Default Disengaging the Front Axel and Transfer Case

One more thing...the transfer case was stuck in 4WD after a short test run: front axel was engaged and transfer case in low gear. Wouldn't disengage.

I discovered that in order to disengage the transfer case and front axel, I need to drive in reverse for a short distance. I guess that "unbinds" the gears [takes the load off... so to speak].

Who knew. I call these idiosyncrasies, "special features".

Things that make me go "hmmm".
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Staff Sergeant

Don Cavey is a Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
One more thing...the transfer case was stuck in 4WD after a short test run: front axel was engaged and transfer case in low gear. Wouldn't disengage.

I discovered that in order to disengage the transfer case and front axel, I need to drive in reverse for a short distance. I guess that "unbinds" the gears [takes the load off... so to speak].

Who knew. I call these idiosyncrasies, "special features".

Things that make me go "hmmm".
I found out the same thing when I was in the army. It can be cantankerous if on dry pavement. BTW, I found it out in 1969!
Old May 29th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Sergeant

k8icu is a Soldier

Yep many 4WD do that. Just have to back up and they'll pop right out for you. Even my old M151 use to do that on occasion.
Old May 30th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Private

Default Bluto's Serious Corrosion Problem

This is a "Spacer, Rear Bumper" (part #11657341). The actual rubber bumper "Bumper, Rear Axel" (part # 945577) was completely corroded away, leaving nothing but the bolt heads. Of course the bolts twisted off as I tried to loosen the nuts.

That pile of rusted iron came from inside of this bumper. You can also see that on each end where the bolts go through, the bumper is cracked.

Here's my question...Where can I find a pair of these? I haven't seen them on the web...anywhere.

I was thinking maybe to drill out the bolts (although the steel is very hard) and to maybe fill them with lead and reuse them. What do you folks think about that idea?

Does anyone have any ideas for something that I could use for the same application? I found the rubber bumpers themselves, but this spacer is cast iron. I need something pretty sturdy I guess.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 5th, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old June 5th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Private

Default shocks and a shocker!

So...I was able to get new shocks in front and back. I bought stock rear shocks, but the only stock front shocks I could find were in the UK, so I opted to put in aftermarket gas shocks in front.

Front and rear diff covers were done last week. New gaskets and oil. Feels fresh!

Today, my teenager and I were installing new front U-bolts (trucksprings.com in Michigan) and we had a little visitor. Western Diamondback rattlesnake. I was wondering what my dogs were barking at, so we looked over (we were under the front of the truck) and loe and behold...he was vibrating his little tale like the Dickens but he was just too young and didn't have any buttons yet.

Yep, he died. The wake was at 1:00 pm. Touching service... Sorry you missed it.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; June 5th, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old June 5th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Private

jhartings is a Soldier
Angry

Thatís funny... RIP little Rattle