Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: uscgmatt : dodge 360 engine swap progress

Default uscgmatt :

Re: dodge 360 engine swap progress
    Post by uscgmatt on Jul 18, 2006, 9:39pm

I bought it from a friend in Cordova. He bought it a few years before that from the Cordova Fire Dept. Both this and the parts truck had them. The parts truck also had a fuel line into the bed on the drivers side. In the winter time with the heater on you have to drive with the windows down or you cook, although im sure it would be nice in antartica.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 19, 2006, 8:10am

Here's what Joe's talking about. This is the best picture I have of it, but you can see how the stick attaches to the top of the tranny. The stick then makes a gentle arch upward. Seems this would be the way to go, for sure.....

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 19, 2006, 9:47am

Hmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Might have to try that if my redneck bending method goes awry.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jul 19, 2006, 10:29am

Quote:
    Bluesman2a, I was just looking at the truck and decided on the outside steering because of the mounts. It looks fairly easy to mount. The fun part will be relocating the shock mount.

If you have a bender, shock mounts are easy. Bend a U, and put 2 spud mounts on the rail...

When mounting that box, I would put it as far forward as feasible, that way your drag link will clear your tie rod. On mine it is VERY close.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 19, 2006, 10:44am

On the shock hoop bit, you can also buy kits from several places that have pre-bent hoops and you just cut them to length and weld. Some have ears for the shock mount itself in the kit.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jul 19, 2006, 2:05pm

Quote:
    On the shock hoop bit, you can also buy kits from several places that have pre-bent hoops and you just cut them to length and weld. Some have ears for the shock mount itself in the kit.

Yep, that's an option too.
    http://www.bluetorchfab.com/oscomm/catal....&products_id=72

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jul 19, 2006, 9:02pm

Yep what Tim posted. That is what I was thinking of... That's real fun to shift with when it loosens up and the shifter starts to turn on ya...lol

Matt, ok I was thinking it might be my old truck, but I don't think so. Mine got traded to Phil Nelson of Nelson Jeep Parts in Columbiana Ohio. Who he sold it to I don't know. But yes the artic heater will roast you. I didn't mind driving it in the winter with that...

Default uscgmatt :

Post by uscgmatt on Jul 21, 2006, 12:50am

I like that shifter setup, thats what I am going to try. But first I need to order some u-joints for the steering shaft. This way I can steer it from one side of the hanger to the other where the welder is located.