Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boghog : Painting w/ Gillespie primer and paint

Default boghog : Painting w/ Gillespie primer and paint

Painting w/ Gillespie primer and paint
    Post by boghog on Jul 7, 2006, 7:26am

My truck bed is almost ready for paint. I have a new HVLP spray gun, never used one , I will practice. I am looking for any one who sprayed the Gillespie products with HVLP gun. Looking for tips. Did you have to thin the primer and or paint? What thinner was used? Anything else that might help.
    Thanks Dennis

Default barrman :

Re: Painting w/ Gillespie primer and paint
    Post by barrman on Jul 7, 2006, 7:52am

I have never used the Gillespie primer. I have shot almost a gallon of their 24052 USMC green paint in the last month or so though. I also have an HVLP gravity feed gun.

I mix the paint 2:1 with Xylene. I got my Xylene from the local Ace. None of the paint stores had it. I mix in a seperate cup, stir it up and then pour it in the paint gun.

I have a seperate hose I use just for painting. I installed a regulator/filter/seperator on the up stream end of that hose. I normally set the pressure at about 30 psi for the hose. I have a mini regulator on the gun itself. I started out with it at 10 psi. Shot some practice on some scrap metal. At 10 psi, I was getting globs. I increased the gun psi to 15psi with the gun off. This works out to about 11 with the trigger wide open. That got rid of my globs and gave a really nice spray pattern.

Your gun has at least two adjustment knobs on it. The one just above your hand on the back of the gun controls how much paint goes into the air. I would suggest you turn it in until not much comes out at all. This will start you off without much worry about runs. Plus, your base or first coat should be just enough to get paint on the surfuce. You aren't trying for a glossy finish with the first coat. Turning the knob out, obviously, increases the amount of paint coming out of the gun.

There is another knob that adjust the fan or spray pattern. Mine is above where my right hand thumb is on the side of the gun. This knob is located above the mixture control already mentioned in regular suction feed type guns. Normally, turning this knob in makes a smaller spray pattern and out makes it cover more surface. When you adjust one, you will need to adjust the other.

Remember this, HVLP guns use very little material compared to the old style. I painted 2 heavy coats on my roadster doors with 10 oz paint and 5 oz Xylene and still had paint left over. That included Colton doing the jam area with runs all over the place. If you get runs, let it dry, sand it smooth and shoot it again. No problem.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 7, 2006, 10:13am

I've sprayed about 21/2 gallons over the last month, of the Gillespie paint. I did not use any of their primer. I reduced their paint by 10% using Xylene or paint thinner, it comes pretty thin straight from the can. I used a pressure pot gun, as I did not want to chance running that product through my Sipon feed guns, very expensive for base/clear only. I had great results, very happy with a two coat paint job on my parts. Binford might post up as well, just sprayed his truck. I was able to get it cover real nice first coat, not to light of a coat not to heavy. Let dry for abour 12 hours, then recoat a little heavier or more paint, no runs drips or sags that I've found thus far. If you run it or put a sag in it then you'll be just like factory. Fisherman

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jul 7, 2006, 11:17am

i just shot gillespie primer and semi gloss black and 24087 o.d. green. thin ( xylene ) the primer ONLY 10% dont thin the colors as it will be to thin !!! useing HVLP i shot at 10 PSI at the gun. better to go with several thin coats, wait 15 minutes between coats. you can shoot primer and color in the same day. wait 24 hrs before you pull it out of paint area to cure. total cure time 4-5 days if you shoot 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of color. call if you need to 1 423 384 8938 oh yea FUMES ARE TOUGH SO AT LEAST WEAR A GOOD MASK !!!!!!
    hope this helps
    bob

Default beast :

Post by beast on Jul 7, 2006, 11:20am

I painted both my M715 and M35 with Gillespie paints and primers. I followed their recomendation of mixing the paint 2:1 with synthetic enamel reducer. I used the standard setting on my hvlp gun for automotive enamel. The paint sprayed awesome, and even easier than most high end automotive enamels that I've painted in the past. Spray it in at least 3 light coats for best coverage. I also recommend using Gillespies primer as it is darker than standard automotive red primer and makes a difference in the outcome of the finished product. With auto red primer the 24087 turn out more brownish, and with the Gillespie primer it turns out more of a darker green. I have a few smaller parts that I had sprayed with regular auto red primer as i was working on my M715 and you can see a difference when the are held up against anything that has the gillespie primer under it.

Default canders7 :

Post by canders7 on Jul 7, 2006, 6:17pm

Maybe this is a newbie question, but I have only been lurking here for a couple of months and finally needed to sign up (I hang out over on the IFSJA board) where can I find the Gillespie paint?

Maybe Fisherman or Binford715 can divulge their secrets as well, being that I am a fellow Seattlite.

Any web site or link would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the minimal hijack.

Default 503m715 :

Post by 503m715 on Jul 7, 2006, 6:31pm

RON FRITZPATRICK JEEP PARTS 541-582-4035 www.g503.com/parts Grants pass Oregon
    I bought both primer and od from him. I ordered in the morning and had it by 5pm the same night. I am down by Portland. He dosen't charge a hazmat fee either. 35$ a gallon plus 7$ shipping

Default canders7 :

Post by canders7 on Jul 7, 2006, 6:44pm

Thanks for the quick info.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 7, 2006, 8:28pm

I think I ordered mine from Gillespie or Rapco. Secrets? I can't even remember where I bought it from. Mine was $25.00 a gallon plus shipping. Fisherman

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jul 7, 2006, 8:42pm

I,D CALL RAPCO