Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    It takes three yards with no mistake allowance. As you can see the price hits 300 plus before it ever sees the cutting table or sewing machine. So far it takes me 5 days to make. I will never price gouge. I also can't do stuff to break even and or not make the appropriate funds for the time and sweat involved. There are cheaper fabrics. But if you read up some, Twillfast is the best.

https://prestigeautotrim.com/uk/mate...rtzfabric.html

This place is higher in price. Many places won't sell retail. But you can find them.

http://b-dco.com/jeep-twillfast-black/

My patterns are not dialed yet. I am still working on the second top. I also lost power 4 times in two days here. Nothing got done the last couple days. And I am starting my neighbors ring and pinion gear change this morning. I am not fast at anything so I shall return.
    I was looking at Twillfast or Sunbrella (my neighbor sells it, and they apparently have some fabric that's good for marine/automotive tops). I only hope that my sewing machine is up to the task.

Sunbrella is great fabric, but not waterproof. It's water resistant because its treated with a water repellant solution that wears off pretty quickly. It would definitely be easier to work with and much less expensive, but I think the Twillfast would be money well spent. There are less expensive vinyl coated fabric constructions in a variety of colors if you wanted to go with a material made for convertible toppping. I'm partial to the look of the fabric outside though. Mine is made from Stayfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Twillfast is amazing and you can tell by working with it that it is of superior quality. I got my neighbors front axle and drivelines rebuilt. Today is also my wifes 60th birthday. No shop time today. So hopefully tomorrow I am back at top number two. I am anxious to make some changes. I received the new metal strap locks yesterday too. Thumbs up..

Good to know about the sunbrella--I didn't realize that it was waterproof because of a coating.

Ya'll had me curious about sewing in a window, so I found this youtube video that makes it seem really easy. Uses binding, double-sided tape, and two hems, so it should be pretty much waterproof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF7i-iAgzZc

You could also use Seamark. It is the same Sunbrella fabric made by Glen Raven, but coated with PVC and the same water repel formula. The PVC is meant to be the inside so you’ll have the canvas look on outside. Seamark is much lighter than Twillfast and also waterproof.

That's the fabric I was looking at from Sunbrella (seamark). I think I like the idea of a waterproof fabric that doesn't need recoating.

That is a great video on windows from Sailrite. The double side tape is a great re-positionable solution. I have been looking at making an all new top for a 1978 Fiberform cabin cruiser I am restoring. Their method will help a lot. I have been concerned with how to do a few things there.

That long arm sewing machine is the shizz. But at 5000.00 dollars I will have to settle with my Pfaff 145. It has been a struggle to work the entire top through the smaller throat. I am experimenting with reverse stitching instead of trying to rotate a huge mass of material. I would like to make a table that surrounds my work area. Out of Masonite so it is slippery and smooth.

I have been working on top number 2 for several days. I hope to be done by tomorrow. I am having the general feeling that I don't want to make and sell these. They are a lot of work and take at least a week to make. And some parts of it are challenging. Maybe when I catch up with some other things I may feel different. I dunno...

Thanks for posting the video. I need to spend some time on you tube watching others and how they handle some of the methods.

Blog Entries

... I'll bet you would be willing to make them if given the "right" price. I bought a bench seat from a guy 5 states away that would NOT ship under any circumstances. 3 emails later ....... It was shipped to my door.
    Last edited by teking; January 21st, 2021 at 04:25 PM.

Ha ha... I get it. So I feel like someday I will probably be willing to make tops to sell. I should have been more specific, that right now it is not something I want to make additional time for. I can see it later. But I really want to get my truck ready to paint. I have a very small summer window for that. Plus I have had a lot of broken stuff come my way via neighbors. I am trying to squeeze them in also. It has been a very busy winter so far. So comma All that is left on this second top is flaps and snaps. So far 5-6 days on each top. Maybe I can get that down to 4 someday. I want to keep my sewing skills up. So I am not bailing long term.

How in the heck do you ship a bench seat? Amazing...