Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cummins swap... the hard way

Can't wait to see it running!

well got a dual pass 19hx31w aluminum radiator off of Jegs, i trimmed some of the sheet metal on the front clip and got almost 4in of space in between the pulleys and the core. it is slanted about 15 deg to gain a bit more room. i hope this is enough cooling for the cumming but that was the biggest radiator i could squeeze in there. the intercooler should be interesting but i plan to mount it low like they do on the 2013+ ram diesels.

Any other cummins swap guys have any trouble with cooling?
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my experience, Cummins engines generate so little heat that even a smallish radiator will be fine. But always go with the biggest one you can fit. Better to have more cooling capacity than you need than the opposite.

Dang...that radiator looks RIGHT in there...nice work!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by P2V3350 View Post
    Any other cummins swap guys have any trouble with cooling?
    Nope... and I have a smaller radiator than you.

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

well been a busy month. I havent gotten to work on the old girl as much as i wanted. started fabbing up the cage and seat mounts. i ended up removing the windshield latches so the a pillar would fit tighter. i got 2 mastercraft seats and with them mocked up into place i decided i needed a tilt steering column. the side support on the seats made it to hard to get in and out. i may have to shorter the window roller handles beacuse they touch the cage with the door closed. small problems but no big hassle.

the cage is 1.75 120 wall dom and the less important parts are 1.5 120 wall hrew. im going to tie the cage into the frame

Wow nice work man!

so tilt steering column mock up went great. its the jegs 28 in bare steel 1"dd column $285. it uses a standard gm plug so wiring will be easy but it fits prefect the firewall fitting will be easy to modify and just a bit of gringing to the dash. you can see the markings for grinding in the photos. i think when its painted it will look stock and a good easy upgrade for anybody who wants to do it . the stock mounting fits perfectly

very nice work.

I decided I am doing a duramax in mine... after we stuck a Cummins into a 71 K5 Blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by P2V3350 View Post
    lots of work getting done, body and bed on the frame and mounts built, wheelbase is perfect. next engine and trans mock up. i also got a set of hummer wheels for a great deal they make the truck look great

I'm assuming this picture is the M715 body sitting on the Dodge frame? Do you have any other perspective shots of this?

I'm looking at doing a frame swap as well so I can keep the original Dodge suspension on the front axle and keep the Dodge rear axle as well. My worry has been it will look like a frame swap and not look natural but from the angle of your picture it does look as if it came that way from the factory. So I'm assuming you have already notched the bed to fit around the frame? Any pictures of that?