Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrman : Big Block Blues

Default barrman :

Re: Big Block Blues
    Post by barrman on Jul 28, 2006, 9:11am

I got my heads back yesterday. I of course, had to make them green along with everything else I unbolted when I took them off.

The shop owner stuck to his story that I was running too rich. I spent about 30 minutes with the tech who built them this time. He says there is no way the fuel mixture did this. 16 guides, 8 exhaust valves and 1 hardend exhaust seat had to be replaced. He is convinced it just wasn't put together right.

I had to pay $117.60 to get them back. That was "just the parts" according to the shop. I referred 4 people this week to other shops. I am going to call them up once I get mine back together and tell them about how much business they are loosing. I still have to buy an intake gasket set at NAPA tonight too.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 28, 2006, 9:32am

I sure hope its fixed now....

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Jul 28, 2006, 10:46am

Good luck with it Tim. I was thinking of doing some work to the heads of my BBC, but now I think I'll just run it as is.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 28, 2006, 11:09am

Been a while, but guides used to cost less than $2....that's one expensive seat!

Hope it's right this time Tim.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 30, 2006, 4:01pm

I put it all back together Friday night and Saturday morning. I had just fired it up for the first time when Mark called. (Sorry if I was rude Mark, my cordless phone doesn't work inside my metal shop and I wanted to get off the phone so I could look for leaks and such as fast as I could.)

I can hear no noises and the thing has tremendously more power. I haven't had it on the open road yet, I finally got Jennifer to help me put the newly painted hood back on last night. I did have to use the truck to "herd" a runaway horse back to my land. Fast stops, starts, donuts and powerslides were needed. Along with some slow speed crawling through woods pulling a tied up horse that didn't want to follow. (It is amazing that a mad horse can make the entire truck slide sideways.)

I also had to put out a 2,000 pound round bale of hay out this morning. Never even knew it was there driving through the field in second gear.

I will drive it to work Tuesday and Wednesday this week and do the road test then.

I did figure out something weird on my timing though. 8-10 degrees advance makes it act like it is flooded when warm and hard to start. 10-12 degrees makes if fire up like a fuel injected engine. 12+ makes the starter chug. I have it at 10 right now and will see what happens as far as pinging and hot starting in town later in the week.