Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrman : Observations

Default joeia :

Re: Observations
    Post by joeia on Jul 13, 2006, 9:03pm

I had reservations initially about the auto for wheeling myself, since I was used to a manual. I had mine built by a shop that apparently knew what they were doing because it has held up well for the last 10 years. It actually makes it easier to go over some obstacles without abusing the truck too much. It even will hold fairly well while going downhill, better than I expected.

It has also hauled numerous, very heavy loads with no issues so far.

The 30% overdrive also makes the truck much more drivable on the road.

It's also easier for us "old folks".

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 13, 2006, 10:28pm

Quote:

Joe's M715 with the 454 and TH700R4 ....
    ....Blah blah blah....

....I wanted to make sure that he and his truck got attention I think it deserves.

Oh man, is his head ever gonna swell now.

Just kiddin!

On a serious note, I've had the pleasure of wheeling with Joe quite a bit, it's not just the auto trnny, he knows what line to take, and how to make his truck work to it's fullest. You can learn a lot just watching the ole guy...the other cool thing is getting in on all those senior citizens discounts when you go to dinner with him.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 14, 2006, 8:40am

Tacoma,
    I know I am stuck in the past. I drive a 40 year old truck as a daily driver. My daily driver car is a 40 year old Mini. I have been "forced" to ride with my wife to work for the last year in a 2000 Suburban. Every chance I get I drive one of "my" vehicles I do it. But, after watching Joe and his truck at the FE and then talking with him a while about the transmission and what he had done to it. I am more open minded now. I also noticed that all of the big 3 are selling diesel trucks with higher rated engines in front of automatics for the first time.

If I were to start all over from scratch on another truck, I would look real hard at an auto. The price will be about the same as buying a new NV4500 with all the fittings and stuff. Plus, after my toe surgery last winter using my right foot to slam on the brakes really hurts. I had to spend the last day at the FE driving in sandles because my foot was so swelled up. Being able to use the left foot to brake would add a lot of comfort.

Rob,
    I drove Lee's 4BT truck around in 2nd gear 2 years ago. Other than that, I have never driven a 4BT. That being said, I was impressed with it. I have seen a lot of projects on the internet with that engine. Bob Cowen thinks they are better than sliced bread and he has probably 2000 square feet of every engine imaginable sitting in his shop. The only diesel at this years FE was the only vehicle not to stall at least once. Diesels are more efficient engines than gas. They last longer when properly cared for and run a lot cooler too. The only negatives are the high initial cost, more weight and the few components that can break cost a lot more than gas stuff.

I think you should only put one in a 3/4 ton or heavier vehicle. I would recommend an axle swap if you are putting it in a M715. 400 pounds more doesn't seem like much, but by the time you add taller tires like the Michelins you are looking at more than 600 pounds of constant stress added to the axles. Plus, you won't go very fast with a 3000 rpm redline engine with the stock gears. 4.56 is about the highest you will want with an overdrive. Cost and longevity wise, open knuckle D60 axle in the front is about the smallest you will want.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 14, 2006, 8:53am

Joes driving skills are far beyond what mine will ever be...his ability to pilot an M725 at the Iowa Regional was amazing...he was driving it because the owner wasnt sure it could go through a tricky section without laying over...Joe made it pratically look like he was driving on flat ground...

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Jul 14, 2006, 9:43am

I think the 725s are more stable than alot of people give them credit.

Default joeia :

Post by joeia on Jul 14, 2006, 2:32pm

I believe the weight distribution of the 725s can help in some of those situations.

Default redneck1 :

Post by redneck1 on Jul 15, 2006, 5:22pm

Here are a few pics of Gimp's 725 from the F.E.

Redneck1

Default blueridgekaiser :

Post by blueridgekaiser on Jul 28, 2006, 11:34am

i agree on the automatic. you just need a good builder to upgrade a few parts and for about the same price you will not look back.