Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fisherman : Gauges

Default fisherman : Gauges

Gauges
    Post by fisherman on Jul 29, 2006, 12:25am

For you 12 volt guys. I need to start thinking about gauges. Will be running a custom 12 volt harness or maybe a painless harness. I would like something that looks military and that would hopefully fit in all the factory holes. Any ideas or gauges anyone has used that look good. I just want something that will go with the truck and be functional with out having to do some custom dash layout. KISS keep it simple stupid is what I'm looking for. Fisherman

Default luckypabst :

Re: Gauges
    Post by luckypabst on Jul 29, 2006, 12:43am

Stewart-Warner Deluxe Series are as close as you'll get to original appearing. They still use the same gage faces and the only visual difference is the chrome bezel vs. the 715 OD bezel.

Chris

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 29, 2006, 2:06am

Lee Alessi used some Datcon gauges that ROCK, and btw Datcon is an OEM supplier for military eqpt. Saw some of their gauges on a generator out in the field. They're pretty cheap too.

Default beast :

Post by beast on Jul 29, 2006, 8:47am

I used VDO series 1 gauges in mine. They are black faced with white numbers and indicators. Just need to paint the chrome bezels OD.

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Jul 29, 2006, 9:00am

Note on the Stewart Warner guages:

It is possible to buy the red LEDs to go inside the guages. Was sniffing out some info ran across it... didn't seem like it was a big deal to put them in.

Default fasteddie :

Post by fasteddie on Jul 29, 2006, 3:54pm

installed Sunpro 2" gauges and sending unit for fuel tank, black face ,white numbers , fit in oringinal holes . rather inexpensive . Used VDO series 1 for the tach . about the bulbs , used the wifes craft glass spray on regular bulbs , it's held up for a year now . Summit racing had the gauges .

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jul 30, 2006, 3:52am

I went with VDO... Both the kok-pit and Vision series have black bezels with black faces (yes it's mis-spelled, but the dirty word filter kicks in with the correct spelling) . Finally got mine wired up this evening and MAN they look COOL... I went the extra step and used the red filters included for the lights for that ultra tactical look.

Here's an example:

Default beast :

Post by beast on Jul 30, 2006, 8:36am

Yep, I also used the red filters that they send with them so that it looks more traditional army at night.

Default bbm715 :

Post by bbm715 on Jul 30, 2006, 12:50pm

http://www.datcon.com/products/2illuma.htm

Still toying with what I'm going to do although I picked up a spreaming deal on a VDO speedo this spring off Ebay. Think I'd have to install a booster rocket to use the whole 160mph though!!! I'd rather a 120mph guage so that 60 would be about straight up but 80 is cool too.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 30, 2006, 2:28pm

Thanks I appreciate all the input and information. Looks like I have several choices, will do a little more looking and reasearch before I decide as I am a little ways off yet from needing guages, just trying to think ahead so it will be a straight forward install. Fisherman