Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6217 at Oklahoma Auction

Default 6217 at Oklahoma Auction

My latest aquisition is a 6217 chassis, I guess it could be called a M724, but the data plate just has it as a M715W/W. I have been watching this truck for two years slowly being parted to death. It finally came up for auction last week. I got it for $300, full 6217 layout including the full drive line for the winch. Motor turns but has been converted to 12 volt. I got it as a parts truck for my 6217, but it may be restorable to a 726 if I could ever find another telephone maint. bed! There were a couple of pretty complete 715s there that went for around a grand.
    James G.

Last edited by Rumplecat; April 19th, 2007 at 09:51 PM.

What makes it a 6217?

Was it originally an M715 that is missing the bed now or was it the maintenance truck version of the M724?

looks pretty good for $300.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

The 6217 is the model # for the maintenance box on the back. Early models (70-71) were built on the M724 chassis. Later models (75-76) were built on M715 w/w chassis. The later models also had the np205 instead of the np200 transfer case. From the pictures I have seen, Rumplecat's first truck is an early model. Probably built on the M724 chassis. The 6217 box on the early trucks had a different configuration than the later trucks.

I guess I'm with Jon on this one. How do you know its a M724/6217 and not just a M715 w/w that just has had the bed en removed?
    Zone holster maker

That's easy joe. The cab has a couple of extra levers and there is a big generator drive attachment behind the transfer case. I will see if I can post some pics tomorrow.

Here is a shot of the 6217 equiped cab. Kwai what are the differences in an early vs. late maint. box? There is box coming up for auction at the same location I got this cab/chassis.
    James G.

Is that a telephone maintenance bed on that red ford in the background? Notice the wheelwell underneath the 715 in the second pic.

Also a guy up in New Jersey has a bed minus the top and back doors and no welder stuff on the for sale board. I would like to get the bed but I'm not sure if I will or not. I hate to see it go to the scrapyard. Dave
    Here is the link to his post.

Ok well if you can get the bed and put it back together you will have a great vehicle that not to many others have.
    Zone holster maker

The cab/6217 in your picture is an early model 6217. Does your new truck have a PTO coming off the transfer case to drive the generator?

How do I know?
    1. 2 transfer case shift levers. The np200 needs 2 and the np205 (late model) has only one.
    2. Mico lock brake lock. My early model (m724 chassis) has this while my late model (m715 chassis) doesn't.
    3. The generator dataplate matches my early model. The late model is different.
    4. The 6217 box has the removeable roof panels. The late model trucks roof is fixed in place.
    5. Also, on the back of the box where the tailgate is attached, the channel on the early models is a u-channel. On the later models the channel is boxed so that that hinge doesn't need a spacer where it attaches to the box.

Does your cab dataplate show the chassis is a M724 or a M715?
    My early model is a M724 and my late model is a M715.
    Does the dataplate on the 6217 box show a build date of 1971 or 1976?
    My early model is a 1971 and my late model is 1976.

Oh, and someone stole your starter button on the floor. What's up with that?