Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 Top = 1/2 Top Frame

Default 1/2 Top = 1/2 Top Frame

I have had 3 different size and style of seats in my M715. All of them have put my eyes right in line with the stock top frame. I can't see sideways, I hit my head on it while driving, really knock my head getting in and out sometimes and feel closed in when they are installed. So, I built these.

3/4" steel tubing through out.

I don't have a set of top bows, so I tried to make a set out of the 3/4". they are ok if you don't look too close.

Here is my CJ-5 bikini top mounted on it.

The top looks tight in the two bottom pictures. I went for a drive and it loosed up enough to loop the ends over the rear bow. Now I just need to finish a few welds and paint it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Boy I wish we lived closer, I could use alot of your fabbing ideas. Very nice mod there.

What top is that made for? I've been looking for a 1/2 top but couldn't decide which one might fit.

The top is made for a CJ-7. I bought it 3 years ago at 4Wheel parts for 19.95 or something like that. I had to cut out the flat plastic that fit into the CJ-7 top slot. I sewed in a 3/16" metal rod with non waxed dental floss. It slides right into the M715 top groove great that way. I have also had to resew the rear straps several times.

Canvas would be best of course and I hope to make one some day. For now, I will be in the shade.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I just fabricated up a 1/2 top using the rear cargo cover for a M37. It is the right size and came with a bunch of grommets. It even has a flap I use it as a sun roof that is secured with three 1/4 turn buttons.
    However, after seeing yours, I might fab something similar to fit the cargo end cover. Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Calpyro View Post
    I just fabricated up a 1/2 top using the rear cargo cover for a M37. It is the right size and came with a bunch of grommets. It even has a flap I use it as a sun roof that is secured with three 1/4 turn buttons.
    Any chance of getting some pics of this setup? please?

I know you've probably already shared this, but what's the fitting coming outta the side of the cab here?

I'll take some pics tomorrow

For clarity, the canvas piece I used is the rear flap of the cargo cover that extends vertically up from the tailgate, not the cover itself.

That fitting is off a duece and allows you to hook up a slave jumper cable. Since I am trying to be some what stock I hooked mine up inside the battery box. Not real convenient but it works for a jump from the duece. You can get them off Ebay for pretty cheap. The best location is where Tim has it.

Oh yea, Nice work Tim. Thats cool.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21