Thread: Frame Color Again/Rear frame area/Pintle/Bumpers

Default Frame Color Again/Rear frame area/Pintle/Bumpers

Ok gang,

I'll be painting my frame a semi-gloss black next week...and I was wondering about the rear section of frame where the pintle hitch is and where the bumpers attach. Obviously it should be green I would assume but wasn't this part of the frame that was first painted black?

Upon stripping this area, there was green over the black on my truck...can someone shed some light on this?

i imagine if the frame was black it was all black anything bolted on would have been od, bumperets pintle etc. but short of an eyewitness from the assembly line or some factory document describing assembly details who can ever say for sure. these trucks have been w/o paint on the frame or w/ all kinds of different re-sprays its always going to be a individual call. i have to say that it might look odd to see the frame in black w/ the attached parts od, but im sure the black didnt stand out from the od much so maybe they let it go that way

Mine was also OD except for the area under the bed and cab. Pretty much everything that could be seen without getting under the vehicle was painted OD on my old truck. there wasn't any definite line between what was OD and what was black. It seemed that after assembly they painted everything OD that they could get to without a lot of trouble. I do remember my frame being OD for about the last 1 and a half behind the rear tires and then everything at the rear was OD.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Basically from what I know, seen, and heard Military Vehicles had all the parts painted prior to assembly and then once assembled a finial touch up coat was sprayed to cover any exposed nuts and bolts and to touch up any scratches etc. So it could be possible that the frame was painted black and then the exposed area like the rear where the pintle is was painted OD after assembly.
    Zone holster maker

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd say it was black, then sprayed over afterward with OD for the military.

At least with most vehicles I have looked at, anything exposed seems to be painted OD. Maybe a military requirement that any visible surface had to be OD??

My frame was black and then oversprayed with OD, and it appears that it is original that way. There are spots under the truck that look as if they couldn't get to them easily, so they left them black.

there is a good pic of the pintle in the -24 repair tm fig 22-3 and 06-40 it looks like the frame is a different color than the pintle an other added parts