Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford 390 Swap?

Default Ford 390 Swap?

After several years of not getting much done on my truck (I was a member of the site in the past), I am ready to get going on it. I remember several years ago (I cannot remember if it was before or after the great M715Zone site crash or not) that someone had swapped in a Ford 390 into an M715. Well, I would like to do the same. Does anyone remember more details on the swap? Is the person who did the swap still on the forum? I currently have a 390 in the process of rebuild and a divorced NP435 that has recently been rebuilt. In conjunction with the engine swap, I am planning on rewiring the truck (to 12v) to clean up the mess a VFD left behind. I plan on keeping the NP200 and axles ... for now. I am also curious if any of ya'll are close to the Clear Lake area of Houston. It would be great to share company with some like mind folks.

I swapped in a 360 which is pretty much the same engine, they both share the fe block. I twas a pretty easy swap. Mine came out of a '76 F250 and I just took the T18 that was already mated with it. I did have to make custom motor mounts but it was pretty straight forward. I'll put up a few pics that I have saved on the computer, if you need to see anything inparticular just let me know, but it might take a while till I get home from vacation.

Last edited by Binford; January 4th, 2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Separated the pics for clarity

Holy cow! That thing looks as slick on the inside as the out! Nicely done!

What are the warning stickers on the firewall, Gwen?
    -- Tim Taylor

Gwen does have a VERY clean install....it is sweet!

Very clean.

Gwen-
    Thanks for the pics. Did you have to do any firewall pounding to get it to fit? I am also planning on using the AC compressor for compressed air. Did you use the radiator from a Bronco or from an F series truck? Did you have to do anything special to get the tranny to bolt up? Did you use the Ford clutch linkage or the stock one? Be prepared for a lot of questions!!!

Again, thanks for the pics and other info!! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

Will
    1967 M715
    2010 SVT Raptor

That is a very good install, but in the last picture it looks like the oil filter is sitting on the tie-rod. I know it isn't but it is a funny opitcal illusion.

ha, it dose dosent it. ha kinda like my leaf spring picture too

thats a clean rig i like the air compressor
    my signature is sweet huh?

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    ha, it dose dosent it. ha kinda like my leaf spring picture too

thats a clean rig i like the air compressor

Yea, I had to go crawl under mine to finally figure out what I was looking at on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by *gearhead* View Post
    Gwen-
    Thanks for the pics. Did you have to do any firewall pounding to get it to fit? I am also planning on using the AC compressor for compressed air. Did you use the radiator from a Bronco or from an F series truck? Did you have to do anything special to get the tranny to bolt up? Did you use the Ford clutch linkage or the stock one? Be prepared for a lot of questions!!!

Again, thanks for the pics and other info!! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

Will
    No the firewall is not modified at all, it fit in real easy. The radiator is actually out of a cherokee chief with the amc 360. The inlet and outlet were on the correct sides and it also has a built in oil cooler, just had to move the pass. side support to get it to fit. The t18 is pretty close in length to the stock t98 so it was a pretty easy install, but i did have to modify the tunnel a little, and the stick needed a little extra bend in it to clear the dash. I used to stock clutch linkage, it all bolted right up. The t18 and the t98 were so similar that it made the swap easy. I've included a few more pics to show the tunnel mod and a pic i had of the tranny. Not the best pics but I already have them on the computer